forty-eight ☆ over text

FEBRUARY
of twenty-twenty

narrator's pov.

"guess what!" elena remarked, leaning against zach's kitchen counter.

"what?" zach asked, grabbing a pop tart from his kitchen pantry.

"i got a job at royal berry bowls," elena answered.

"no way, that's so dope," zach complimented, "wait, why'd you apply?"

elena shrugged, "i need more funds for the senior trip. there's no way karen would pay for all of it."

zach nodded, "the reservation payment is due next wednesday, right?"

"i think so," elena answered, "uh, do you know how much it is? i've been so busy with school and training for work that i barely had time to look at the informational papers."

zach pulled out a blue-paper packet from his backpack, and said, "it says here the initial payment is one hundred fifty."

"one hundred fifty?" elena gasped, "shoot, i don't have much time."

"if you really need it, i could lend you some," zach offered.

elena shook her head, "no way, i'm not letting you pay for me."

"alright, whatever you think is best," zach declared, "just know that if you ever need help, come to me, okay?"

elena smiled, and walked over the other side of the counter to hug zach, "i know, and thank you."

zach embraced her back, and when they released, he asked, "this is kind of off topic, but what do you think will happen between rose and jonah?"

"honestly, i don't know," elena sighed, "i doubt they're going to talk to each other."

"that sucks," zach agreed, "the entire situation definitely did something to jack and presley."

elena nodded, "i hope they're doing okay."

-

back at oakland, presley paced her room back and forth. her and jack hadn't spoke on a meaningful level in a few weeks, and that concerned her. it reminded presley of how her and corbyn fell out, and she doesn't want the same thing to happen between her and her boyfriend.

maybe i should just text him?, presley thought, what's the worst that could happen?

she grabbed her phone from her desk, and began to text jack. however, it took her a while to come up with a starting message.

"hi jack, how are you? it's been a while since we've talked," presley mumbled to herself, typing on her phone, "ew, that was so bad."

presley sighed, and typed hey onto her phone. her right thumb hit the blue arrow button, and before she knew it, the text had already been sent.

"i've been siting here for seven minutes and all i could come up with was hey?" presley scoffed, talking to herself.

-

presley 🧸:
hey

jack 🦦:
hey

presley 🧸:
can we talk?

jack 🦦:
can't