seventy-eight ☆ elena's car

JUNE
of twenty-twenty

narrator's pov.

at around one in the afternoon, elena had made her way to the herron household. her hand fidgeted as she pushed the doorbell, and reese opened the door, "elena!"

the dark-haired girl kneeled down to hug zach's little sister, and reese said, "mommy and daddy went to a friend's house, but i think they are coming back later."

"sounds good, reese," elena remarked, "how has my favorite little girl been?"

reese giggled, "i'm doing amazing, elena. what about you?"

"i'm doing great too," elena lied, "do you know where zach is?"

"upstairs," reese answered, "do you want me to bring you there?"

elena lightly laughed, "sure, reese."

the eight-year-old held onto elena's hand as she escorted her to zach's room, "hey, zach, i found elena!"

zach turned on his swivel chair, and smiled when he saw his girlfriend. reese left the room, and the brunet cupped the cheeks of elena and planted a kiss on her plump lips, "hi, ellie."

"hi, zach," she responded, "what do you want to do?"

"anything you want," zach answered, "we have three hours together until you meet presley. speaking of her, why are you guys meeting?"

"she texted me the other day asking if we could talk about everything that happened. i think she's forgiving me," elena pointed out.

"wait, if presley forgives you, then will your entire friend group come back together?" zach asked, earning a nod from elena, "aw, but then you'll be spending a bunch of time with them and not me."

elena tilted her head, "i mean, i'd be hanging out with them again, but i'll still make time to be with you."

"they're going to take you away from me," zach whined, "i like how it is now."

"but, zach... i'm, like, miserable without my friends," elena pointed out.

"i guess," zach replied, standing up from his chair, "okay, do you want to watch a movie?"

"yeah... sure," elena mumbled, following zach out of his room.

elena felt like zach wasn't supporting her decisions to fix things with her entire friend group, and that brought her down. she wanted to forget everything that's been upsetting her, but the smallest matter triggered her to remember it all. the concealment of her feelings began to fade, and elena was on the verge of snapping again like she did the day prior.

"what should we watch?" zach asked.

"uh... i don't know," elena replied, playing with the strings of zach's hoodie that she was wearing, "you can pick, i guess."

zach tilted his head, "uh... you okay? you seem a bit off all of a sudden."

"i'm fine," elena lied, "just... tired."

"oh, okay," zach responded, "you can sleep on me while we watch the movie. how about five feet apart?"

"yeah, that works," elena agreed.

the brunet sat on the couch, and opened his arms for elena to lay on him. elena pretend to yawn, and reluctantly positioned herself in zach's embrace. as the two watched the film, elena began to parallel the characters to her own life. she realized that stella grant — filled with positivity — represented herself, and will newman — wanted to be isolated from the world — was similar to zach. however, she realized that the tables have turned, and now elena represented will and zach represented stella.