eighteen ☆ so you're elena?

SEPTEMBER
of twenty-nineteen.

narrator's pov.

"which dress do you think is better for homecoming?" elena asked zach, showing him two pictures on her phone.

one of the dresses was a strapped mini black dress, and the other one was a glittery silver skater dress. zach was immediately stunned by elena's beauty, and was speechless when he saw the pictures. the black one showed off elena's skin and curves much more than the skater dress, but zach didn't feel like it resembled her personality.

"hello?" elena asked, waving in front of zach's face, "which one?"

zach shook his head, snapping out of his thoughts, "the silver one. i think it's more you."

elena smiled, "i thought so too."

after a few more minutes of talking, the two stood up from their usual spot and began to get ready to leave. elena looked up at the sky, and saw dark gray clouds.

"uh, are you walking home?" elena asked.

zach shook his head, and pointed up to the sky, "i looked at the weather this morning, and it said it's going to thunderstorm. i drove here."

elena nodded, "oh, y-yeah."

"what's wrong?" zach inquired.

"nothing," elena lied, "i'm going to head to my c-car, i'll see you soon."

elena was lying. she does not have a car, or her license. zach normally waits for elena to get picked up by her stepmother, and leaves when elena is already in her car. however, elena's stepmother was not home, and of all days to have elena walk home, it had to be the day it was going to thunderstorm.

as elena continued to walk in the opposite direction of zach, she noticed zach's car was heading toward her.

"where's your car?" zach queried, rolling down his window.

"u-um, i think it's over there," elena lied.

zach gave her a look, "elena, i may not know everything about you, but i do know that you don't have your license."

elena looked down at the ground, and tried to hide her embarrassed face. zach asked, "uh, do you n-need a ride?"

she sighed, "i can walk, i live just around the corner."

that was another lie. elena lives on the other side of oakland than where the sunflower field is, but she didn't want to be dependent and have to ask zach for a ride. all of a sudden, a splash of water hit elena. she looked up at the sky, and more splashes came down.

"now do you want a ride?" zach questioned, laughing a bit.

elena nodded, and opened the door to the passenger's seat of zach's car. he pulled out of the parking lot, and then received a text.

"shoot..." zach mumbled.

"what's wrong?" elena asked.

"my mom just texted me," zach started, "she needs me home right now so i can babysit my sister while her and my dad go out for a meeting."

"um, what do we do?" elena inquired.

zach thought about it for a second, and realized what the most logical plan was, "i'm taking you to my house."

"huh?" elena screeched, "u-um, not that it's a bad thing. i've just never been to your house before... or met your family."

"they're probably going to leave once they see my car on our street," zach suggested.