seventy-one ☆ before you go

TW !

self-harm is
in this chapter.

MAY
of twenty-twenty

narrator's pov.

prom night came sooner than expected, and elena was putting on her dress. just a few minutes ago, she saw that presley, rosaline, and june were all getting ready together. however, she didn't feel anything when she saw their posts. she just felt numb.

elena began to start her makeup. as she grabbed eyeliner from her cosmetic bag, she noticed something on her arm. the scars from her burns were still evident, and she didn't even realize.

the dark-haired girl began to panic, and her chest got heavy and her breathing became staggered. just as her panic attack began, her phone rang, and it was a facetime call from zach.

"shoot, shoot, shoot!" elena whisper-shouted.

elena couldn't control the tears that kept falling, and she looked in the mirror to see her running mascara, red eyes, and puffy cheeks. she hesitated, but answered the video call, "h-hi."

"whoa, ellie, what's wrong?" zach asked, "you're crying."

"n-no... i'm not," elena stuttered.

"please don't lie to me," zach sighed, "what's going on?"

"um... i was just getting frazzled because i messed up something while doing my eyebrows," elena lied, "i'm fine now."

"oh, okay," zach responded, not fully convinced that was the truth, "are you sure?"

"p-positive," elena answered, "um, i have to go. can i text you when i'm ready for pickup?"

"yeah, of course," zach said, "bye, ellie."

elena hung up, and scrambled through her cosmetic bag to find her concealer. she quickly blended the liquid with her scars, and to her fortune, they weren't as noticeable.

"alright, elena, just keep your cool," elena mumbled to herself, "you're going to have a fun night with your boyfriend, and you're not going to let anything bad happen, okay?"

-

zack 🥂:
hey lena

elena 🌻:
hi zack

zack 🥂:
r u going
to prom?

elena 🌻:
yes

zack 🥂:
r u going
with zach?

elena 🌻:
yes

elena 🌻:
it's always been a joined
prom between oakland
and pineland remember?

zack 🥂:
yeah of course
of course

zack 🥂:
what are
u wearing?

elena 🌻:
uh i'll just send
u a picture

elena 🌻: