thirty-five ☆ don't be ashamed

NOVEMBER
of twenty-nineteen

narrator's pov.

it was the day before the oakland sunflower field was scheduled to close, and elena sulked. she was waiting for zach to meet her at their usual spot, but he was later than usual.

she waited for nearly an hour, and zach was still a no-show. elena figured that he wasn't coming, so she began to let out all of her emotions. one teardrop fell, and eventually led to more. her puffy eyes peered through the field, and she could barely see since her eyes were filled with tears.

elena didn't want to let go of such an important part of her life. she never expected it to be taken away.

"it's just not fair," elena mumbled to herself.

out of nowhere, the brunet she had been longing for showed up, "hey! oh, elena, why are you upset?"

"it's nothing," elena answered, wiping her eyes.

"no, i want you to tell me," zach declared, crossing his arms.

"zach, i told you, i'm fine," elena replied.

"really? i just saw you crying, ellie," zach scoffed, "tell me what's wrong."

"i don't like crying and letting people see me be insecure, okay?" elena stated, hiding her face from zach.

"no, elena, don't be ashamed," zach cooed, sitting next to her, "trust me, after months of therapy, i know how to deal with things like this. just take deep breaths, and it's okay to cry, ellie. let whatever it is out instead of holding it in."

the dark-haired girl broke down again, and fell into zach's lap. as she cried, zach reassured her that everything would be fine, "i think i know what this is about. ellie, i know this place means a lot to you. it means a lot to me too. i mean, this is where i met you for the first time, and you totally impacted my life. i'm really going to miss coming here. however, we have to leave this place in the past. we can find another place, and make new memories there."

"really?" elena whispered.

"really," zach declared, twirling elena's hair through his fingers, "remember what you told me on homecoming night?"

elena began to smile, "i told you to strive to be in the sun, but it's okay to sometimes be stuck under the rain cloud."

"exactly," zach remarked, "this is your rain cloud, elena. but, guess what? soon there will be a rainbow coming."

"yeah, there will," elena added, "thank you, zach. thank you for making me feel better."

"after all you did for me, this is nothing," zach chuckled, "you can always talk to me, ellie."

"i know, and i will," elena responded.

...

a / n :

i think i'm going to be skipping over the holidays (thanksgiving, christmas, new year's, etc.) since they don't exactly influence the plot!