Twelve

Johnny's POV

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't singing about me and Kenzie. The truth is, I realized that I liked her. Whenever I saw her and Hayden together, my heart broke. As if I no longer had a purpose to live. She was perfect in every way possible, and it killed me that I took so long to notice it. When she walked onto the stage and started singing with me, I was shocked, to say the least. I actually felt like we had a chance together, and maybe she felt the same way. But then I was brought back to reality and I remembered that she had a boyfriend. Fuck Hayden. If he wasn't here, maybe we'd already be together. Maybe we'd be planning our future or some shit. It really annoyed me, but that's life, I guess. The truth hurts. In this case, it hurts a lot.

As the song ended, I stared into Kenzie's eyes, as if I was searching for something within them. It felt amazing, and I forgot that we were in a fight. It took everything me to not pull her into the tightest hug and never let go, but I knew that I couldn't. As much as I hated him right now, Hayden was my best friend, and I couldn't hurt him like that, even though he hurt me without even knowing. I had to be the bigger person. And plus, I knew that Kenzie didn't like me back. She had Hayden, so she didn't really need me. I was a nobody to her right now. But to me, she was everything.

The crowd bursting into claps and cheers pulled me out of my thoughts, and I turned away from Kenzie, and I smiled at the crowd.

"Thank you, everybody! This is my... friend... Mackenzie," I said, looking back at her. "She really is amazing." She smiled at me, before taking my hand in hers and raising them together.

The crowd cheered once more, and we walked backstage, hand in hand. Once we were out of sight from the audience, I let go, remembering we were still in a fight. 

"Johnny-"

"Mackenzie, save it. I know that was just acting, and I know that you did it for a better performance, and I appreciate it. But I don't need to hear your 'sorry's and 'i won't do it again's, because I've heard it a million times before. You city girls are all the same."

I walked away, ignoring her countless calls, and even when I heard her start to cry, I didn't turn back. I knew that she was with Hayden, and if I forgave her, it would just make me want her even more. So I decided that I had to stop, and make her hate me. That way it'd be easier for me to move on. But after that show, it only got harder. 

Fuck life for being so damn hard.

Kenzie's POV

I stayed standing there as Johnny walked away from me, still crying. I thought that after that show we could mend our friendship, and then slowly mold it into something more, but there goes that plan, just like every other plan I've made before. I liked him, I really, really liked him. But I knew that he'd never feel the same way, so I just gave up. He'd never like a messed up bitch like me. And I don't deserve him anyway. He deserves so much better. He's the sweetest human being I've ever met, and I just lost him.

"Ahem." I turned around to come face to face with Hayden.

"Hayden!" I yelled, and hugged him for comfort, but I was returned with nothing. He just stood there, his body firm. "What's wrong?"

"You. That's what's wrong. You just went out there with my best friend. Do you know how that feels? Huh? Do you know how that feels? You just fucking went out there pouring your hearts out to each other in song, and you left you boyfriend backstage to watch it all! Do you know how that feels? Answer me, Mackenzie!" I was now bawling. To be honest, I was scared. There was a ten times stronger than me guy shouting at me, so what do you expect me to do?