Fourteen

Johnny's POV

I woke up to see machines and bright lights all around me. I tried to sit up, but my back was killing me. As I looked around and saw the plain white wall and the small table with a single chair, I realized that I was in a hospital room. I used all my strength to sit up and then saw Lauren sitting there.

"Hey, Lolo," I managed to croak out. She immediately looked up and ran next to me.

"You're awake! Jeez, John, you scared the shit out of us!" she said. Large black circles were visible around her eyes, and her eyes were bloodshot. Had she been crying?

That's when it all came back to me. The reason I was in the hospital, and why everyone was so scared. Kenzie. I needed to see Kenzie.

"I'm sorry, choppy. Um, w-where's Kenz?" I asked, knowing she was gonna tease me about it. Instead, she just smiled and patted my shoulder.

"Go for her, John. She isn't like the last bitch." I smiled, and it was a genuine smile. "I'll just go get her..."

"Wait, where is she?" I stopped her.

Lauren sighed. "She couldn't bare to see you like this, and know that it was her fault. Well, at least, that's what she thought."

"But it's not her fault."

"Well, she blames it on herself," Lauren shrugged, before walking out of the room.

Kenzie's POV

I was sitting on a chair a few rooms away from John's. I know that sounds mean, but I couldn't see him. I couldn't see him without bursting into tears. I couldn't see him without remembering that I was the reason he was in the hospital in the first place. I had stayed here day and night since he had been admitted, which was a week ago. Even when Lauren went home, and offered to take me to, I didn't leave him. I had to stay with him; after all, he did that to protect me, so it's the least I could do. I missed him. So much. I missed his gorgeous green eyes, I missed his cute smile, his soft dirty blonde hair, and the way he smelt like lemon. I missed everything about him.

"Kenzie!" I looked up to see Lauren walking towards me, and for the first time for a week, she was actually smiling.

"What's up?" I tried to smile, but it was hard.

"He's awake. Johnny's awake!" she yelled, causing stares from people around us. She muttered a sorry to them, before turning back to me. "You can go see him now!"

I was happy, I really was, but I was... unsure. "Are you sure he'll even want to see me?" I whispered, looking up at her.

"Kenzie, the first thing he asked me was 'where's Kenz'. I'm positive he wants to see you. Now, go!"

I smiled gratefully, before slowly standing up and walking towards Room 101. John's room. When I reached it, I stopped, my hand holding the handle, before taking a deep breath and walking in. As soon as I saw him, tears built up in my eyes. It was true. He was awake. After 1 long week without him, he was awake.

"Hey, John..." I said, still standing at the door. At the sound of my voice, he turned to me, his lips curling into a smile.

"Kenz!" When I realized that he wasn't mad at me, I slowly made my way over to him. Taking a seat in the chair next to his bed, I smiled at him.

"How are you feeling?" The tears were still there, but I tried my hardest to not let them out.

"Better. How about you? How long have you been here?" he asked. It confused me how he was so happy in such a sad situation.

"Um, I came two days ago," I lied. I can't let him know that I've been here for a week, without eating or drinking anything. He nodded slowly, processing what I had said. We sat in silence for a few minutes, but then I couldn't take it. Tears fell from my eyes, and I let it all out.

"Johnny, I'm so sorry," I cried. John's smile turned to a frown when he saw I was crying. "It's all my fault. If I hadn't been so stupid, you wouldn't be in this situation. I'm such an idiot."

"Hey, no you aren't. Kenz, you're amazing, and I would've taken much more if it meant you were okay." Even after he said such kind words, the tears kept going. In fact, it made me sadder.

I took my hand in his. "I thought I had lost you-"

"But you didn't," he said, using his finger to lift my chin up. "You didn't lose me, Kenz. That's what matters. And you won't. I promise, no matter what, I'll always be there for you."

I nodded slowly and looked at his eyes, the eyes I had missed seeing for so long. They were shining from the tears that were held in them, and I never actually realized how green they were until now.

"I just... I can't help but think that if I hadn't come here, you'd be in such a better situation."

"I don't even want to think about that. You have only made my life better, Kenzie."

I remembered my talk with Lauren, and asked the question that's been bugging me for the longest time.

"John... why didn't you fight back?"

"What do you mean?" he asked, smiling gently.

"You're so much fitter than Isaak, and you could've taken him down easily... but you didn't. Why?"

He sighed. "I knew that if I had fought back, he would've only made it worse on you. I didn't want that. I couldn't do it, knowing you would get much worse than what Isaak did to me." 

I put my hand on his cheek, tracing the now less visible bruises that I had caused, and he winced in pain.

"Oh, I'm sorry, sorry-" I started, but he started laughing.

"I was kidding."

I pouted jokingly and nudged his arm gently, laughing along with him.

"That wasn't funny, Orlando."

"Then why are you laughing, Ziegler?" he countered. I rolled my eyes and started to stand up. 

"I should probably be going..."

"Aww, so soon?" he asked, and gave me a smile I couldn't resist. I chuckled and pressed my lips onto his cheek, giving him a soft kiss, before walking towards the door.

"There's something for you to dream about," I joked, and I heard him laugh.

To be honest, he gave me something to dream about.

(A/N) I love how comfortable John and Kenz are around each other... and, come on, that was a cute moment. Anyways, I might upload twice today? Hope you guys are enjoying! I've got the story all planned out, and let's just say next chap you're gonna wanna read ;) Really cute, trust me. Love you all! Vote and Comment!