Umi

It was a cold winter day when Umi Shinkai was born. Her parents were more than overjoyed at the prospect of her birth. She was born on Valentine's day, the day of love, and Chihiro and Ayana loved their child immensely. That is...until Ayana started to hemorrhage. Due to her weak health, her birthing Umi naturally was a big risk, one she wanted to take.

Ayana died that day, and Chihiro's heart broke. Due to the loss of his wife, Chihiro lost the love for his daughter. Umi grew up with only her father for family, and the staff for company.

 Umi grew up with only her father for family, and the staff for company

It was lonely, without Daddy in the house. Ever since I was a baby, I was always in the arms of Miss Himari. I loved her like my own mother. I remember Daddy showing me a picture of Mummy when I was a little girl. He talked to me for the first time that day. He didnt bend down to me, but talked down to me as he showed me the portrait of Mummy hanging in the living room. I looked a little like her... She had bright teal eyes, and long brown hair. My hair was long, curling slightly as it reached midway past my back, and it was teal like my Father's. "This is your mother." Daddy said, gazing up at the portrait. "She was an extraordinary woman, you are not." I looked down, "If you want to earn my respect, you must become a woman of standing. We are the Shinkai family, we have a reputation to uphold." Daddy turned on his heel and walked away. I looked down. "Chin up, Umi." My head snapped up to meet my Father's eyes, he was looking at me over his shoulder. When he saw me looking at him he turned again, "We do not stand like that."