Surprise, Surprise

DREAM

Twenty years. Twenty long, torturous years since Neptune had set foot in Silver Millennium. Once she had reached the age of seventeen, Neptune stopped aging. She stood tall at 5'7". Her teal hair flowing down her back and reaching her calves. Each day, Neptune would watch Uranus through her Deep Aqua Mirror, and slowly but surely, she fell in love. Every day, Neptune would wrestle with herself, should she visit Uranus, just once? Leave her planet to spend just a minute with the one she loved? Neptune decided. She took a breath, closed her eyes, and a pale aqua streak shot off Neptune into the darkness.

DREAM END

I woke up happily, stretching out and sighing in content. I was back in my clothes from the night before. However, my good mood dissipated when I realised what was happening today. I laid in bed, glaring at the Kimono and Obi across the room. The Kimono itself was pure white in colour, with gold embroidery. The Obi was gold as well. I didn't get up for breakfast, but when one of the maids knocked on the door saying I had to get ready, I reluctantly rolled out of bed to prepare for the lunch. I had a shower, got changed, and eas about to start my hair, one of the maids hurried in, sat me down and styled my hair with elaborate clips and curls. I slipped on my socks and shuffled into my Zori. "Mister Nitori and his son are downstairs." One of the butlers called from outside the door. I sighed, reluctantly standing and walking downstairs. Father was standing there in a grey Hakama. Itsuo's father, Enji, donned a red one, while his son wore a gold one to match mine.

"Ah, Umi, how nice of you to join us." Father sneered. I ducked my head.

"Sorry Father." I muttered.

"It's lovely to see you again." Enji greeted. I bowed.

"The pleasure is all mine."

"Come, to lunch." Father ordered. I shuffled behind him and the other men as we entered the traditional dining room. Father and Enji sat on the opposite ends of the table, while Itsuo and I sat in the middle, facing each other. I kept quiet, keeping my head bowed as we ate. I only tuned into the conversation when the topic of conversation turned to Itsuo and I.

"Now, is everything set?" Father asked, looking up at Enji.

"Yes, it's all prepared. Catering, the venue, the guest list." Enji listed, "Many have RSVP'd."

"Thank you, Enji, this will be the most successful wedding in the entire Juuban district." I paused, my food halfway to my mouth. I set down my utensil, folded my hands on my lap and turned to my Father.

"Wedding?" I questioned softly.

"Yes. You and Itsuo will be married by the end of the month." Father didn't look up from his food. My eyes widened, and my breath caught in my throat. "After your birthday, you'll stop your schooling and marry. And then, you shall produce a male heir to inherit my fortune."

"M-Marry?" I breathed.

"Yes." Dad snapped, glaring at me, "Didn't you hear me the first time?"

"It'll be a beautiful wedding." Enji assured, reaching across the table and resting a hand on my shoulder. "I've got my best planers working on this." I shrugged his hand off, turning to Father again.

"Shouldn't I have been told this?" I asked, my voice rising slightly.

"Umi..." Father started, however, I was on a roll.

"No, this is my future, shouldn't I decide who I marry, and when I do." Father slammed his fist onto the table, pointing at me.

"You will marry him." He seethed, "You will produce a son."

"NO!" I declared, getting up and storming out of the room, ignoring my father's shouts for me to come back. As I hurried up to my room, I took out my hair, letting it fall back and undid my Obi. When I was in my room, slamming the door as I closed it, I shed my Kimono and changed into legging, sneakers and a t-shirt. I grabbed my transformation pen and my mirror and snuck out my window, down my arbour and off the grounds. When I was a good distance away, I lifted my pen.

"Neptune Planet Power! Make UP!" I cried. Water started to surround me, wrapping around my legs, arms and torso to create my pale blue heeled pointed pumps, with a strap that wrapped around my calves and stopped just under my knees, my white gloves that stopped midway past my forearms, with a pale blue cuff. My skirt appeared on the main body of my suit, it was a pale teal that matched the cape that appeared on my shoulders. A pale blue bow appeared at the back of my skirt, and one on my chest that was held together by a pale teal broach. My necklace was a strip of teal fabric with a clamshell resting on the front. Neptune's planetary symbol appeared on my forehead, which turned into my tiara, which was mainly gold with a pale teal gem in its centre.

I lept away, across buildings and over oblivious public below. I soon found myself landing onto Haruka's apartment building. I landed softly, releasing a breath as I turned to the skyline. It was instinct. I leant on the railing, gazing into the Deep Aqua Mirror. The reflection warped slightly, and an image of a desolate planet appeared on its surface. I frowned, the image of a destroyed kingdom, spires broken and the walls crumbled, there seemed to have been lavish gardens at one point in time, but all of the plants had withered away, leaving only a husk of what used to be. "Home..." I muttered, running my fingers over the cool surface.

"Hey there." A voice spoke up. I turned and saw Haruka. He was holding two steaming mugs in his hands. "Why did I have a feeling you'd be up here?" He wondered, offering me a mug. I smiled softly, setting my mirror down on the railing and taking the cup gratefully. The heat of what looked to be tea warming through my gloves. "You seem...not alright. Are you ok?" He asked, leaning up against the railing.

"Not really." I replied, "I just escaped a civilian crisis."

"Is everyone ok?" Haruka straightened in worry.

"No, no, no." I assured, waving my hand, "Not a public crisis, just something personal." My eyes fell to the skyline. "My father...has arranged a marriage for me."

"Really?" Haruka leaned onto the railing. "I didn't think that was still a thing in today's society."

"It's not as uncommon as one might think." I took a sip of my drink. Sencha Tea, my favourite. "My father is significantly wealthy, he's arranged for me to marry so that my son can inherit the family fortune."

"Why can't he just give it to you.""Father's set in his ways, I can't hope to change his mind." I looked down at my tea before handing it back to Haruka. "Thank you for the company, I appreciate it, but I must go." I picked my mirror back up, "Protect the people." I leaned over and kissed Haruka on the cheek. "Bye." And with that, I pulled myself onto the railing and lept away.