Chapter 24 Trenchant

Normal Pov.

Lapis and Peridot stayed in the ally where Steven had left them. They did not dare leave until they were certain that it was safe to move. After a time the sounds of gunfire and screaming had ceased. Taking a chance Lapis went to the end of the ally and poked her head out. The sight before her was horrifying.

The streets were littered with bodies. They laid lifelessly on the ground with bullet holes riddling their bodies. The few that lay in the road were twisted and mangled at odd angles with clear indication that they were run over. Not wanting to see anymore Lapis quickly went back and grabbed Peridot before rocketing off into the sky with her water wings.    

It didn't take long for them to return to the beach house. They rushed inside and found the other gems sitting around doing nothing. This angered Lapis and before she could even say a word Pearl was on them.

Pearl:"What are you two doing here, shouldn't you be with Steven back at the barn?"

Amethyst:"Ya and what's with all that racket outside, woke me from my nap"

Lapis looked ready to explode with the way her face was changing from blue to red. Peridot saw the look Lapis was making and tried to calm her down while giving the gems a glare.

Peridot:"Why didn't you clods think to go out and see what was going on!?"

Garnet:"We were preoccupied with other matters"

Peridot:"*Suspicious* And what matters would that be?"

Garnet:"That's none of your concern"

Peridot fumed at this but let it go. She instead focused on keeping Lapis calm, which seems to be working somewhat.

Pearl:"By the way do you know what was causing all that noise. It sounded like screaming and since your here I can only guess what they were screaming about"

This reignited Lapis's anger and in seconds she had here hands wrapped around Pearls little neck. Pearls gasped and started clawing at the hands while Lapis was looking at her with murderous intent.

Lapis:"You have no right to say that, especially after what just happened!"

Garnet and Amethyst immediately jumped forward to restrain Lapis. Try as they might her grip held firm on the pale gems neck, refusing to let go. In a last ditch effort Garnet summoned her gauntlets and punched Lapis. The blow was enough to cause Lapis to release Pearl as she was sent flying into a wall. Peridot rushed over to check if Lapis, who was dazed but thankfully her gem wasn't cracked. With a growl she once more glared at the gems with renewed vigor.

Peridot:"We're leaving"

Peridot put one of Lapis's arms over her shoulder and started to drag her to the warp pad. She didn't even make it halfway before the gems blocked her path.

Peridot:"Move!"

Garnet:"Not until you give us an explanation as to why she attacked Pearl and for what she meant by 'What just happened'. So start talking"

Peridot:"I don't have to say anything to you!"

Then Amethyst, hesitantly, summoned her whip and Pearl following her example.

Amethyst:"*Apologetically* Sorry but you don't really have a choice"

Peridot was not in the mood for this.

Peridot:"Move, NOW"

Pearl:"*Chuckles* Or what?"

Suddenly Peridots gem started to glow brightly as her face morphed into one of rage. Unnoticed by the gems the pots, pans, and anything else made of metal started to shake.