CHAPTER TWO✅

Tanjiro was immediately on guard. His sword drawn and feet spread, anything and everything that moved not escaping his ruby eyes.

"Ill go and find something for us—," Ochako started but was shushed.

"Not right now, there are some demons nearby. Can you run in those?" His voice was low, and Ochako had to strain her ears hear him.

"Yeah," her voice was a little quieter than his, and she shifted so she was ready to run on his command. Turns out she didn't need it, as two gross looking people came into view, from opposite directions. She heard Tanjiro hiss demons under his breath, before lightly shoving her in a direction they weren't in.

As soon as he turned his back, one with sharp, bladed elbows launched at Ochako. Tanjiro turned back, but was occupied by the other demon. But by the time he cut its head off he heard the demon scream and then its voice started to fade.

He turned back to Ochako and it was gone. He could smell it, but even the scent was fading. He turned his bewildered gaze to the girl, who was wiping her hands in the ground, her face twisted in disgust as something slimy, probably from the demon, left residue where she wiped. "Wha-?"

"Ah, there was a.. snail." She lied lamely.

"The demon..?"

"You killed it, its still crumbling over there, see?" She avoided his gaze.

Tanjiro raised an eyebrow. "There was another one. Its... gone now? What happened to it??"

She mumbled something he couldn't hear. "What?"

"...i threw it."

Tanjiro couldn't smell a lie. "You threw it."

"Un."

Tanjiro blinked. "Okay..."

Ochako flushed a little in embarrassment. "Uh, there was a..cave, that-a-way." She pointed in a random direction.

Tanjiro laughed a little, amusement and curiosity filling him. "Alright, lets go that way."

A few minutes walking and they encountered another demon. About an hour passed and they had killed four and two more suspiciously disappeared. They were in the middle of chasing a rabbit that Tanjiro smelled when he suddenly stopped, his face crumbling.

"Ugh, what is that smell?" He covered his nose, turning a little green. Ochako patted his back, knowing the feeling. She had long since dropped the demons she had released the gravity of, once they were far enough. "Its so rotten.."

Ochako cringed a little, patting his back a little more. She was going to comfort him and tell him to forget the rabbit, when a horrible scream sounded.

"AAUUUUUGGGGHH!!!" A boy, clearly running for his life, passed by them. "What is that?? I didn't sign up for this!!"

Ochako  felt her breath hitch. This demon was huge, green, and had more arms than she could count. It was holding a clearly dead participant by his neck, slowly slithering on feet made up of hands. Ochako felt queasy.

The demon reached one of its many, many arms past them, grabbing the boy who was running by his ankle, about to submit him to the same fate as the other one when Tanjiro was suddenly there, a 360 wheel of water surrounding him and waving in a similar motion as a circular saw, cleaving right through the demons arm, and allowing the boy to escape. Whom of which left his sword behind.

Ochako made a grab at it, lifting the unfamiliar blade. It was immediately lightened as her quirk did its work: removing its gravity.

The demon ignored her, instead zeroing in on Tanjiro's mask gleefully. "Another of my cute foxes have come~!"

"How are the new kids?" A man asked, without moving his head. He was blind.

The black haired one shook his head. "Nothing out of the ordinary. Well, there was one thing I'm curious about. At the beginning, before sister and I left, a demon started floating. It flailed in the air for a while until the air pressure killed it. There were a couple that were raised after. I suspect there is some sort of gravity defying breath user out there."

"Gravity, you say?" The man turned to the nine kneeling people just outside his residence. "What do you think, my children?"

"Never heard of it," A hashira said bluntly, a white snake curling around his neck. "You're the wind hashira, Sanemi. Have you?"

"Do i fucking look like i have?"

"Language. Obani-san, stop deliberately triggering Shinazugawa-san. Oyakata-sama, can you please elaborate what you mean?"

"Right you are, Shinobu-san! Oyakata-sama! What do you mean by gravity?"

"I agree with Kyojurou. Flamboyant as a gravity breath would be, no human can defy gravity, let alone understand it enough to make a breath style of it!"

"Gravity... what was that again?"

Tengen and Miuchirou are so cute! But a gravity breath.. I wonder how that would work! My chest hurts just thinking if it!

"How sad... No one knew of a knew potentially powerful breath style and it has been for.. how long has this sorrowful child had this breathing style?"

The black haired boy shook his head. "I don't even know if it is a gravity breath. Ill ask if they survive.."

"Hmm, good idea, Kiriya. Lets hope they survive, and we can call in an audience with them."

•As curious as he was, Tanjiro knew Ochako was human, so he didn't ask questions about the disappearance of the demons.•

•Ochako was really glad Tanjiro didn't press for answers.•

•The hashira are literally so childish and powerful its not even fair.•