27. Property Of a Millionaire

Miles' Point of View

Forgiveness is a hard thing to achieve and to give. It's the action or process of forgiving or being forgiven. I had forgiven Max the minute he stepped into my apartment. I would hope he had forgiven me for the way I reacted when I found out about his family's history and relations.

That was all 2 weeks ago. 2 weeks I spent on my couch. 2 weeks of drowning down ice cream. 2 weeks of 3-second calls to Max. I hung up after dialing because I felt like it was wrong to do so. 2 weeks of sulking in my thoughts instead of asking Max how he was feeling and dealing with this.

I still had questions about my mother's involvement in all of this but I didn't want to pressure Max into answering more questions until it was a bit more comfortable between the both of us.

Again, I was back in the large, dark, and brooding office of Maximillion Ivanov. The only sounds being heard were those of the keyboard, heavy breathing made by Max when he got stressed, and my leg thumping up and down. I had something horrible planned for today. It was probably another one of my major fuck ups but I didn't care. I felt like it would answer some or most of the questions that I had. So I was going to do it. Now, that is.

"Umm, I have to leave early, have to watch Pom Pom for the afternoon." I lied.

"Is your father alright?" He stopped working and looked up at me. I looked back down at my ring and arranged it slightly.

"Yeah, he just got called back into work so I have to walk her if that's alright." That sounded reasonable.

"Yes, of course. Get there safely Miles." He said returning to work and I mentally pumped my fist into the air. Thanking him, I packed up and left the building. I made it past Alana and hoped into my car, it's not that I was avoiding her, I just didn't want her to raise any more suspicions about where I was going.

I pulled up to Ms. Watson's Cafe less than 15 minutes later and grabbed the picture with me. The squeaking of the door brings back memories, good and bad ones. All that leaves my head when I see his familiar grey suit sat down at one of the tables in the back of the cafe.

"You know, I was quite surprised to get a call from you. Does Maxi know about this?" His voice oozed with confidence. I wasn't excited about seeing his face either.

"Listen, Malcolm, I don't need your sarcasm. Just a favor." I tried to be blunt but that doesn't work around Chalamet.

"Do you know who I am? Who I truly am?" The smirk on his face only hid behind his true intentions and I didn't want to be the one to figure it out.

"I don't care or need to. Just explain this." I pulled the picture out and slid it across to him. He was sat directly across from me, similar to how Tyler was when he broke it off with me.

"Ahh, this goes back. Why would I help you?" This fucker...

"I wouldn't say it's helping me, I just need information. It's just background on this picture." I told him.

"And what do I get in return?" He sounded so conceited as if everything always goes his way and he always gets what he wants.

"That I won't slap you again." He laughs. Straight up laughs in my face, so loud other people start to look over in confusion and annoyance.

"Alright alright, what do you want? Money? Huh?" He licked his lips and ran his hand through his auburn locks before placing his hands on the table.

"A kiss."

"Hell no."

"I'm a gentleman, so a kiss on the cheek. I'm also a man of my word, so I'll tell you all you need to know after my kiss." He tapped his index and middle finger on his cheek, indicating that I have to kiss him there.

He's such a perv. The most annoying, cocky, and ignorant pervert! "Why are you so difficult?"

"It's in my nature... now my kiss?" He leaned further into the table, pushing it against my stomach as his face came closer to me.

I pushed my pride aside and leaned over to him. "Don't try anything." I threatened.

"Kiss me Princesse (Princess)." I leaned into his cheek. I closed my eyes to hope for the kiss to go by quickly but I was wrong. So fucking wrong. At the last second, he turned his head and his lips met my own. My eyes popped back open and pulled away rapidly. This sly fucker.

"Man of my word? My ass." I wiped my lips with my hand and gagged. He only chuckled and laughed.

"I wanted to taste you for so long. I will answer your questions, a true man of my word." He licked his lips once more before taking the picture in his hand and scanning it.

"Who are these people?" I had already known since I read it online but I want the full story.

"I'm sure you already know that's my father and I. This is Maks Ivanov, your lovers' grandfather and his assistant Mara. This was when the treaty was signed." He started. So mom was his assistant? Did she know about this?

"Wait, his assistant, she knew about his mob business?" He looked at me as if I said something stupid.

"Of course. Although Maks Ivanov is an older man, this woman Mara was the only genuine friend of his and died protecting him and his secrets. I heard she left behind a husband and son." My heart ached, I started to feel sick.

"How did they meet? My-Mara and Maks?"

"His wife, Jasmine Lavender, or Maxi's grandmother introduced the both of them. I don't know their relationship further past that. I can only tell you that there is a revolution starting, your lover, well he's going to regret ever being Don Maximillion of House Ivanov." His words make my world shake. Revolution? What the hell did I get myself into?

"Your threats are just empty. Words mean nothing without any action to it. I would be pissing my pants if I were you." I knew Max wouldn't let his family down or vice versa. Malcolm and his entire family shouldn't even have messed with them since the beginning.

"Your mouth is such a loose cannon. You should watch it more often. Wouldn't want you saying something you'd regret." He tried threatening me? Hell no.

"My words pack a punch, just like that slap I gave you. Unless you want another, I suggest you stop making these threats towards Max and I." I don't know where these sudden boosts of adrenaline and confidence came from but I hope it never goes away.

"Une bouche intelligente Vous punit (A smart mouth punishes you)." Instead of listening to what he was saying, I got up from my seat and walked back out. He was such a bitch, I just hope I never see him again.

I got back into my car and reached for my phone until something or someone came from behind me and placed a white cloth over my mouth. I tried not to inhale as my nails started scratching against the other person's skin. I took in a breath of air and felt everything go woozy, I tried kicking and attempting to opening the door but suddenly more of the chemical was entering my body and everything got heavier and heavier. My eyelids were dropping but I couldn't let myself go. I was scared, I wanted Max. I needed Max.

"M-Max." Was the last thing I whispered out before everything went dark.

—-