do you have to be drunk?

pairing: stozier

stanley just finishes talking to bill when he gets a new text. he shouldn't look at it, he should go to bed. he knows. but the user sending it makes stanley's heart flutter. cheesy, he knows.

but maybe someday this cheesiness will find him love.

richietozier: stnaley

birdboy: hi richard

richietozier: i've been drinking

birdboy: that's fun. drunk richie is always a party

birdboy: so how are you?

richietozier: do you like me?

stanley sat in shock for a second. what should he do? say yes? leave him on read? what was the right choice? to be honest, stan had been wanting to say he liked richie for a while, but he never wanted to ruin the friendship.

birdboy: yes

fuck it, right?

richietozier: i like you

birdboy: that's good

richietozier: i wish you were here right now

richietozier: i want to hold you

stanley feels ecstatic. he knows its the alcohol and the desperateness of the other boy thats creating these words, but god does he hope richie means it. the idea of sitting on richie's lap with his arms wrapped around him drives stanley up the wall with happiness.

if only you were like this in real life, stanley thinks to himself. stanley knows richie won't be, and that disappoints him, but it doesn't surprise him. the kid is a pussy, stanley knows that by now. come monday, they'll show up to school and nothing will change. maybe their eye contact will linger for a second more, nothing else.

birdboy: that sounds nice i wish i was there

richietozier: yeah

richietozier: this party is boring

birdboy: what are you doing?

this is, maybe the weirdest small talk stanley's ever engaged in. he kind of wants to go to bed, to be honest. the idea of sleep sounds good, but the idea of richie holding him won't get out of his head, so he'll stay awake for now.

richie's held him like that once, and he was—big surprise—drunk. stanley had been completely sober, and developing a crush on the boy when at a party with his friends when richie motioned for stanley to sit on his lap. stanley, who was wrapped in a blanket, obliged, concerning and confusing those around him. richie's arms wrapped the boy, and stanley felt himself blush and he smiled and laughed as richie would mumble drunk nonsense in his ear.

funny how richie only ever seem to have a crush on stanley when he was drunk.

stanley remembers greta from that night, when she asked if stan was okay and sober because he was sitting on richie's lap. greta! he must have seemed hammered or something. later that night, drunk richie had been just as clingy, putting his head in stanley's lap and letting him play with his hair.

thinking about it, stanley's heart rate increases, and he fucking hates it.

richietozier: watching dumb people listen to dumb songs and play dumb video games.

birdboy: yikes.

richietozier: wyd

he can't even bother to use a question mark? and this was the guy stanley likes. gross. stan laughs at himself, and then at richie. jesus christ.