23- Built For One

Niall's heart was beating in his ears. He felt suffocated in his own skin. And the silence that followed Harry's outburst was making it a hundred times worse than it already was.

He was scared.

Scared of Harry's response but he wanted to know more than anything, now that the cat was out of the bag.

"H-Harry say something." Niall pleaded looking at Harry who seemed like he had been hit by a thousand trains.

Slowly, Harry's arms unwrapped from Niall's body and he slowly slid away between Niall and the counter.

He took slow steps away, away from the blonde, that was more than enough response that Niall needed.

Those slow steps Harry took were miles long in Niall's eyes because they steps from him. Harry had moved away from him.

What other response did Niall did?

And right there and then, he knew. He knew that it was the biggest mistake of his life to voice his feelings out to Harry.

He should have kept his gob shut. He should have not gone to see Harry. Hell he shouldn't have even fallen in the first place.

But really, who has the power to choose who the heart should fall for?

He was brought out of his thoughts when Harry spoke up.

"You're in love with me?" Harry had suddenly come back to earth and found his voice. But somehow, Niall's own voice decided to do a raincheck on him.

He opened his mouth to say something but settled on just nodding when his vocal cords turned their backs on him.

"Niall." Harry sighed. "Come, we really have to talk while sitting down." He turned the heat on the stove all the way down and led Niall back to the living room.

It gave Niall a little hope that Harry had placed his hand on the small of Niall's back but that hope vanished when Harry sat down on the other end of the sofa away from Niall.

He didn't say anything and waited for Harry to speak. He didn't have to wait long because Harry cleared his throat.

"Since when?" Harry asked and looked directly into Niall's eyes.

"When she was here and you had to kiss her so that I could leave. That's when I realized that I had feelings for you but exactly when I fell in love, I don't know." Niall explained quietly making Harry sigh.

"Niall, I... I'm sorry." Harry said and moved close to Niall holding his hands.

"It's okay, Haz. You don't have to be sorry. I know that you won't return my love but I promise that it will not get in our way." Niall tried to smile. Key word being 'try'. But he couldn't do it.

Because he was hurting and he was hurting bad.

"Ni, you do realise what this means, right?" Harry asked and Niall shook his head vigorously. He didn't want Harry to say it. He couldn't let Harry say it.

"No, Harry. Don't you dare say that. I'll eventually get over you but I promise I won't let my feelings affect you." Niall held onto Harry's hands tighter when the older of the two tried to loosen his hold.

"But I'm already affected by it. We had a deal Niall, one falls, we end it all. I can't let you do this to yourself." Harry reasoned but Niall was still not backing out easily.

"Nothing has to change Harry. I'll get over you. I will. And then we'll be able to laugh about it later and still be us." Niall said.

"Do you even hear yourself? Love is not something you easily get over and especially if you are sleeping with the person you are in love with." Harry pointed out.