― two: strange occurrences

[ CHAPTER 02 : STRANGE OCCURRENCES : i'd die for you, that's easy to say. we have a list of people that we would take. a bullet for them, a bullet for you, a bullet for everybody in this room. but i don't seem to see many bullets coming through. ]

★★★★★

          HEAD SWIMMING AND EYES blurring, Parker feels like her body is trying to understand the situation presented in front of her. A situation she's suddenly immersed herself in. She's been sat upright in the same seat since the minute she opened the envelope. The teacher already speaking about calculations while doting students try to follow along as not to get caught behind. But Parker is instead focused on the calligraphy on the paper. How it's swift, clean, and precise. As if a robot or a perfectionist came and printed it on the manila paper. Then she's focusing on the paper itself. Manila is rather old fashioned. She hasn't used it since she was a child making something teachers called art but was really just a clash of water colors, and a mass of sparkles filled in with white glue.

          Her fingers run over the sides, slipping down the corners, and then making their way to grace over the writing.

          The Dare Games.

          It isn't a hidden secret within the confines of her town. It's a relatively known rumor. But that's all she thought it was: a rumor. It's said, every year, three upperclassmen are chosen to compete through a series of difficult dares, and whoever does the most amount: wins. It's been said, that the games have existed for as long as the found of the school. Back when it was an all girl's preparatory academy, that's why only females are chosen. And ever since, it's continued. In the school library, people have scribbled in who they think competed every year in the old yearbooks. Hell, Parker has her own guesses. But, nothing's ever been confirmed, as the whole point of the game is to keep it a secret. Leading too much of the school, including herself, to believe it to be just another rumor that circulates the school whenever people get bored.

          The school bell chimes loudly, alerting Parker to finally get out of her haze. The continuous rambling of the teacher doesn't stop anyone from leaving class. She slips the envelop back into her binder as her foggy brain tells her to get to her locker. A heavy silence hangs around her, as all she hears the methodical thumping of her fingers against her binder. Everyone around her, is nearly silent despite talking in loud waves but she can't comprehend it.

          She finds herself in front of her locker. Her locker shifting open where she pours her binder inside. Her finger grips the door as her head stares straight on into the locker. Is this some sort of prank? Or are the Dare Games actually a real thing? Something she thought of as a joke, laughed at a couple times, is a full-fledged game. And she, Parker Henderson a prime plain Jane, has been invited to be a part of it.

          She has to be going insane.

          "Can you believe it?" The sound of Victoria's voice, effortlessly snaps her out of her haze. She glances up and past her locker door, to find the dark-haired beauty leaning against the lockers with her books in her hand. She's shaking her head, dark brown hair framing around her face when she does so, and her foot is tapping obnoxiously against the floor. "Professor Taylor is giving me two essays to write by the end of the week," She reaches up and runs a hand through her hair. "Two essays! Two!"

          Though Parker's energy is drained, she goes through the process of grabbing her books. "Honestly, it's like they're trying to kill us with homework. Do they think we have all the time in the world?" Victoria scoffs, Parker chuckles. The girl has never liked it when Parker laughs at her anger and annoyance. It tends to leave her with a foul taste in her mouth. As if she believes Parker's making fun of her. "Just you wait, fifth period is going to be a nightmare. The woman is on a rampage!" Victoria waves a finger in her best friend's face, looking annoyed.