Chapter 2

Adalee's POV

It's summer, yet my dad has somehow managed to make friends at the local bar. He invited them over for a get together, and I had to set it up.

I set it up in the backyard; the water looking as beautiful as ever. The sun is about an hour from setting when everyone gets here.

My dad's friends seem to be just like him. Drunks. This will be a dangerous situation if I've ever seen one.

My dad requests me to wait on him and his friends the whole time, making me get everything for them.

I get everyone their drinks and wait around for my next order. I stare at my shoes, not knowing what to do other than just stand there.

My dad asks for another round of beers, so I head to the kitchen to get them. Walking through the house, I look at the simple and humble home. The surroundings of the house are currently covered in trash, me having not had time to clean it up today.

My dad has no idea how to clean up after himself, I have to do it for him.

Going into the small kitchen, I grab the beers from the fridge. Walking back outside, I unconsciously grab my seashell necklace. It was the one gift I got from my mother after she died.

Handing the beers to my dad and his friends, I'm dismissed to clean up all the surrounding trash.

Walking back into the kitchen, I grab a trash bag and get to work. I start in the front yard, picking up thrown down water bottles and cigarettes.

Moving to the backyard, I notice that some trash managed to get in the water. The waves must have picked it up during high tide. Going down the walkway and to the platform, I reach down for all the trash I can reach.

Not being able to swim makes this difficult, knowing that if I fall in, I'll drown.

I'm picking up another water bottle when I see something gold shining in the water about five feet away.

I look closer, thinking it's a gold necklace or something, but I'm surprised to see scales. I guess I'm looking at a golden fish, I never knew those existed.

From leaning over too far to look at the fish, I lose my balance and fall into the water with a splash.

I struggle to get back to the top, trying to swim even though I don't know how to.

I'm going to drown.