Chapter 4

Adalee's POV

Waking up is a strange experience. I'm laying on the platform with my trash bag beside me.

When did I fall asleep? How did I fall asleep?

I then remember the crazy dream I had. Falling into the water, drowning, then seeing a mermaid.

Was it a dream? I check my clothes, and they are completely dry. Of course, it was a dream. What else could it have been?

I notice the sun is down and the night sky is out. My dad is going to kill me for falling asleep.

I make my way back to the house, picking up trash that I see leftover from the get together.

Walking into the small house, I see my dad sitting at the kitchen table, a furious expression on his face.

His eyes lock onto mine, and he spits out, "Where were you? I've been waiting for my dinner for too long!"

I look around nervously, looking for an escape, "I'm sorry. I was picking up trash and got carried away."

He stands up quickly and walks over to me. He raises his hand into the air and it finds itself slapping me across the face. "Don't lie to me, bitch," he yells, spit flying everywhere.

I whisper defeatedly, "I fell asleep."

A sickeningly sweet smile falls upon his face, "Now was that so hard?"

Thinking I got away from this almost unscathed, I walk to the stove to cook him dinner.

As I walk away, he grabs my hair and drags me to the floor by my roots. I scream in pain, my head feeling like it is splitting open.

He proceeds to kick me harshly. My stomach takes most of the attacks, him occasionally kicking my face. I feel my nose start to drip blood, seeing the red liquid fall onto the floor.

He finishes his assault and stomps off to his room. I just lay on the ground for a few minutes, trying to push through the pain to get up.

After getting up and dealing with the excruciating pain, I get to cooking his dinner. I finish it quickly, feeling lightheaded from the beating I took.

Not getting any food, me forgetting to make extra, I head to my room. Looking out the window and out to the ocean, I wish that my dream was real.

I could get away from all of this. The supernatural would be real, and I'd have an escape from my torturous life.

If only it was real, I could meet that beautiful girl that will haunt my dreams tonight.