Chapter 20

Adalee's POV

Sneaking out of the house is not easy, having to be silent is quite difficult.

I open the door to my room; it creaks slightly. I wince, hoping my sister doesn't wake up. I made my decision at breakfast yesterday, and I waited impatiently for the night to come.

Walking out the backdoor, I go to the dock, memories flashing through my head. My father pushing me off, Victoria saving me. I rest easy knowing I can swim.

Starting my plan, I drape my legs over the side of the dock, the way I used to sit here every night and morning.

I kick my feet in the water, focusing extremely hard. I focus all my brain power on connecting our minds, reaching out to her. Doing as she told me, I call out to her through the mind link, praying she gets it.

My mind link is full of emotion, me saying, "Victoria, please take me back. I can't stay here."

I repeat this along with my location, hoping with everything in me that she comes here. I continue to do this for a good hour before I give up.

Giving up on Victoria, myself, and my happiness. I will never have true happiness again. Victoria is who made me happy, and now she is gone, not coming back. She thinks I betrayed her; she will never forgive me. I would never forgive myself if I betrayed her.

My sister's actions were her own, me having no part in them. I can't imagine a life without Victoria, but now I'm living it. It's all my Alyssa's fault. She never had to kidnap Alicia, yet she did. She got me back and acted like the perfect sister, when I know that she could hurt me like she hurt Alicia. Who's to say she wouldn't do it to me, make my face black and blue?

My eyes quickly fill with tears, knowing that I will never get to experience true happiness ever again. I miss Victoria with all my heart, and I let her know through the mind link that is failing to work. "I love you, Victoria. I can't imagine my life without you."

Now sobbing, I cry into my hands, the tears running down my face. They fall off my chin and into the water, making a small splash. I realize that we are all just so small, like a drop in the ocean. Our lives are part of a bigger picture, us not being the center of everything. We truly mean nothing.

No matter how much I hate this fact, I accept it. I accept that my life may mean nothing, but I want it to mean nothing with Victoria. I feel like it will my life will mean something, if I live it with her. She is now my world.

Sobbing, I wipe my nose and look out into the ocean. My heart aches, longing for something I can't have. I decide to jump into the water to feel closer with Victoria. We may be swimming in the same ocean, but we are so far apart.

I swim a ways out, and then tread water. Dunking my head underwater, I imagine I am swimming along the ocean floor with Victoria by my side. I think back to all the good times we've had, and how they all are gone.

Reaching the sand at the bottom of the ocean, I sit there, knowing I need to go up to the surface to breath. I make a decision, not knowing if it's a smart one or not.

I decide to stay down here. Not swimming up when I need to, my lungs burn without air. They are practically begging me to take a deep breath of water, wanting something in them.

Just as I grant them their wish, I can breathe underwater. I take in a deep breath of water, it fills my lungs, relieving the burn that was there before. Victoria swims up to me, and a smile breaks out onto my face.

"That was very stupid," is all Victoria says through our mind link before swimming closer and pulling me into a hug. I whimper into her chest; just so happy she is here. I can't hold back my emotions, me sobbing relentlessly.

She rubs my back soothingly, calming me down. Once I'm finally calm, I look to her beautiful face, loving how she makes me feel.

She surprises me with her next words. She must've heard my mind link.

"I love you too."