Chapter 8

Victoria's POV

After heading to the throne room and hearing from my people, I go back to my room and think this over.

I want to go back to see her. I can't deny that. She makes me feel safe and normal. As normal as I can be with a tail.

Adalee has taken up all the space in my brain, my thoughts only being about her. I couldn't focus on my people's problems because she was on my mind.

If I go back, just to watch her and not interact, maybe it'll be okay. This is a good idea.

With that, I drift off into a restless sleep, dreaming about the day to come.

***

Swimming to Adalee has become a routine. I've made the journey too many times for this to not feel natural.

I wave at all the merfolk I pass. Many merfolk choose to spend their days in the water, me not having that luxury. I must stay at my castle to look over my people.

Arriving at her house, this time it is night. The mermaid meant to surveil her probably come in the morning, so to avoid them, I came at night.

I look at Adalee; her pale skin shining in the moonlight. Her platinum hair reflecting the light, making it look even blonder.

Her pink plump lips look delectable. I wish I could just bring her down into the water and kiss her to no end.

Realizing what I just thought, I pause in my watching, focusing on my thoughts. I want to kiss her? I've never felt this way about anyone before.

I go back to watching when I see who appears to be Adalee's dad walks up behind her. I listen in to their conversation, needing to know what's going on.

"You bitch. What are you doing out here?" The father spits at his daughter. His face is red, and brows furrowed, looking angry.

Adalee scrambles to stand up. "I was just looking at the water."

"How often do you do this? I never gave you permission to leave this house," her father yells in her face. She cowers, afraid.

Not giving her time to answer, he hits her in the face, his hand raising then falling upon her gorgeous skin.

She continues looking down, hiding her face. I can slightly see tears falling down her cheeks.

Her father looks between the ocean and her and makes his decision.

He pushes her into the water, and says with no emotion, "Drown, bitch."

I watch as Adalee struggles to swim, before deciding I need to save her. I swim over to her quickly and give her the ability to breathe. She takes in gasps of breath, her eyes red from crying.

She looks to me, and her eyes widen. She pinches herself, and then says, "I'm not dreaming."

I smirk at her, saying in her mind, "No you're not, my love."

Where did that nickname come from? Ignoring my thoughts, I swim to her and place my hand on the cheek where she got hit.

Muffled through the water, I hear her plead, "Please don't make me sleep. I like it here with you."

Noticing she connected the dots between my hands on her face and her sleeping, I give her a small smile. "I won't, don't worry. And I like it here with you too."

She gives a bright smile at that but winces when I press lightly on a forming bruise.

"How do you talk in my mind? Your lips don't move when you talk to me," she states, confused.

"You have to focus all your brain power on connecting your brain to the other persons. Then you think of what you want to say, and it transfers," I inform, smiling at her curiosity.

Her face grows focused, her eyebrows scrunching up and her eyes squinting. I hear her mind link, "Hello? I don't know if this is working but you are very beautiful."

I feel the corner of my lips raise, and mind link back, "Thank you. You are beautiful too."

Noticing her cheeks redden, I smirk, holding her close to me.

Adalee mind links me with her face in my shoulder, "What are you going to do with me?"

I smile, coming up with the perfect plan.

"You're coming back with me to my castle."