Chapter 7

Victoria's POV

I leave her the way I did last time, completely dry on the platform. Leaving her was hard, I feel a connection to her. I didn't want to leave.

Swimming away, I feel worse and worse each inch I swim. I feel this pounding ache in my head, like my skull is about to burst. My stomach has this tension in it, pulling me back to Adalee.

Adalee. A beautiful name for a beautiful girl. I finally learned her name, hearing her talking to herself. But someone hurt her, and I can't let that continue to happen. She is on my territory, and even though she isn't a mermaid, I care for her. I care for her safety.

Heading back to the castle, I think about what I'm going to tell my advisor. The stoic queen has a crush? And continues to go back to her?

Arriving at the castle, I get dressed in clothes I left there this morning and go back to my room. Knowing I have to look presentable to walk around the castle, I get dressed in my favorite red satin dress with gold accents.

Putting my crown own my head, I walk out of my room and head to the meeting room. I mind link my advisor to meet me, preparing what I am going to say.

My advisor, Cora Matthews, walks in with perfect posture. We must always hold up our appearances.

"What do you wish to speak about?" Cora asks formally. I keep my face blank, trying to get ready to do what the kids say, 'spill the tea.'

"I wish to inform you of a new family in our territory. They have been littering, but the daughter has been picking it up for them," starting off simple, I move on to the next part. "The girl may or may not have seen my tail and I couldn't erase her memory. She thinks she's dreaming when she has seen me."

"She's seen you multiple times? How has that happened?" She exclaims, confused. Now to confess.

"I kinda went back to surveil her, and I pulled her into the water to fix her broken nose. But to be fair, someone at home is hurting her, and I wanted to help," I admit hesitantly.

Cora sighs, looking at me with a slightly scolding expression. "You shouldn't have risked the kingdom like that, but I understand."

I try to justify my actions, "I feel this connection to her that I can't explain."

Cora looks at me with a mysterious look on her face, "Because of your emotions, we should have another mer surveil her. You shouldn't go back to her house, your emotions are too clouded."

Looking at her with a slight frown, I say, "But I want to go back."

"I can't stop you, but you will only expose our secret." Cora crosses her arms, looking guarded.

"Okay. I dismiss you," I say authoritatively.

With that, she walks out of the room, leaving me to my thoughts.

What am I going to do?