Chapter 19

Adalee's POV

Walking down the steps, I stumble sleepily into the kitchen. I find something that I would never expect. My sister is standing at the stove, cooking us breakfast.

As if she heard me, my sister yells from over her shoulder, "Good morning!" She continues to cook, me smelling bacon, my favorite.

Still wary of my sister after all this time, I step closer to her hesitantly. "Is that bacon?" I ask, hope in my voice.

"Yes, I cooked your favorite, chocolate chip pancakes with bacon. I hope you enjoy." With that, she plates the bacon with the pancakes, handing it to me. Taking it, I sit at the kitchen table that I used to serve my dad at.

I always served my dad at this spot, him ordering me around, demanding too much from me. Asking the impossible, for food to be ready in five minutes when I just started it. Everything that I did wrong was another hit.

I revel in the fact that I can eat in peace, not having to fear of my dad finding out. I was never allowed to eat, only leftover scraps that I cooked. I took it to my room so I could it eat without getting in trouble. Eating at the table is a new experience.

We eat in silence, just enjoying the food. I take a bite of the bacon and practically moan. Alyssa looks to me in amusement, watching my reaction. "Is it good?"

"It's amazing." Taking another bite, I close my eyes, enjoying each burst of flavor from the slightly burnt meat. I distantly hear Alyssa laugh, but I just focus on my food.

This is so weird. My life changed so suddenly, and then it changed again. Here we are, acting like everything is completely normal. I must remember that my loving sister kidnapped Alicia. She can hurt people, just like my dad.

I can't trust her too much. Sure, she did everything because she was worried about me, but she went about it the wrong way. My sister, who protected me from my dad, kidnapped my friend. She has a side to her that I have yet to see, and that is what worries me.

We finish our breakfast, making small talk. I tell her about what life was like without her, "Dad would hurt me for everything little thing, if I didn't fix his food fast enough, if I was in his way. Anything, and he would lash out."

I start to tear up, getting emotional about what I've been through. "I'm sorry I wasn't there for you when you needed me the most. I thought that Dad was doing better. He hadn't tried to hit you in a month. I thought that you were safe, and I could go to college without consequence. But at least I was able to save people from those evil mermaids." Alyssa spits that last sentence out spitefully.

I want to roll my eyes, but I stop myself. I speak up about my opinions, "I don't think mermaids are evil. They treated me with nothing but kindness, every single one. There may be a few evil ones, but that is the same with every species. I wouldn't group all mermaids together."

Alyssa nods but responds, "I've never met a nice mermaid, and mom dedicated her life to stopping these vile creatures. I made that my mission too." With that, she stands up to clean her plate.

I know what I have to do, and I just don't know if it's the right decision.