XV. Guilt

CHAPTER FIFTEEN,
Guilt.

CHAPTER FIFTEEN,Guilt

DARYL DIXON FELT GUILTY. It wasn't just about Sofia, though he still felt that if he had tried a bit harder to find her he could've gotten to her before the walker did. But he felt guilty about Hope. Maybe if he had gone to town to look for Rick when Lori had asked she would've never got in the car. Hope wouldn't have been been hurt. Her kids would still have hope that their mom would wake up, it seems like they had lost all hope. He had seen the glimmer that was once in Skylins eyes disappear, he had seen how Ryder barely laughed. And he felt guilty.

And guilt was what consumed him as he walked towards Skylin Smith, who was sitting on a stump a little bit from the house clutching a bunny to her chest as she looked up at the clouds.

He wanted to talk to her, to say sorry. Even if she was only four she would understand. Daryl would never have  apologized if this were another situation, but he knew he had a soft spot for kids. And he knew he had to get rid of some of the guilt.

The little girl looked up at him as she saw him approach, the look in her eyes one of sadness and fear. She wasn't scared of him of course, she was scared of what was to come.

Nothing was said between the two as Daryl took a seat on the stump next to hers. There was silence.

And that's how they sat for several moments before Daryl finally got the courage to break it.

"What are you doing way out here little miss? I thought Dale told you to stay at the house." Daryl said as he raised his eyebrow at her.

Skylin broke her stare from the clouds and glanced over to Daryl, she shrugged before turning her gaze back towards the sky.

"He knows I'm here. I come here alot." She informed him.

"And what do you do out here?" He asked her curiously.

"Before all of this stuff happened me, momma, and Ryder would go outside and lay in the grass. Momma would tell us to look at the clouds and to tell her what we saw. It was always different, the clouds. They never stayed the same. One second it would look like a unicorn and the next it would look like a clown. The only thing that never changed was that momma was always there. But now it's different, she's not here." She told him before looking down at her feet and squeezing her bunny tighter to her chest.

Daryl looked over at the little girl with a sad look on his face.

"Your momma is a great lady, I'm sure she would be happy to know you still look at the clouds. They make you think, take your mind off the world around you. If you don't mind me asking, what's with the bunny?" He asks as he gestures to the bunny. Skylin was rarely seen without the bunny.

"Grandpa got him for me when I turned this many" the small girl said as she held up three fingers.

Daryl nodded not really knowing what to say before he copied Skylins motions and looked up at the sky.

All of a sudden Skylin looked down at her feet and started to slowly kick them back and forth as she held the bunny tighter.

"I wish I had my mommy" she said sadly as a tear fell from her eye.

Daryl felt his heart break in that moment. The poor girl didn't deserve this. She deserved to have her mom and her dad in her life. But her mom was in a coma and her dad was a lowlife peice of shit who didn't deserve to be a father. Skylin and Ryder deserved so much more.

Getting up he crouched down in front of the little girl and took her hand in his.

"Your momma is gonna be just fine Ok? She's a very strong woman and I know she's fighting to get back to you. She wouldn't leave you. And Rick, he's gonna be there every step of the way for you, even after your mom wakes up Ok? Just don't loose hope. If you ever need someone you know where my tent is." He smiled as he saw a small smile grow on her face.

"Thank you Mr.dixon." She whispered.

"Call me Daryl, I ain't no school teacher." He grunted but still kept a smile on his face so she wouldn't think he was upset with her.

Skylin giggled before a serious look took over her face.

"Hey Daryl?" She asked.

"Yes?" He rose an eyebrow at her as he took his seat on the stool again.

"Where do babies come from?" She asked curiously as she tilted her head to the side a little.

Daryl coughed a few times as his eyes grew wide in surprise.

"Umm I think I better go back to work now. I'm not gonna answer that question. Ask Rick or your momma about that ok?" He said as he stood up from his stump and started to walk backwards to the farm house.

"You got it dude." She smiled as she gave him a thumbs up before standing up and running towards camp.

Daryl turned around and chucked as he walked towards the house.

"Hey Ricky!" He heard Skylin call out in the background.

"What's up pumpkin?" He heard Rick ask her.

"Where do babies come from?" Her curious voice sounded from behind him.

Daryl entered the house laughing as he heard Rick enter a coughing fit behind him.

Skylin Smith was a ray of sunshine in a world full of darkness.

And God did he pray that the world would never loose it's ray of sunshine.

A/N
HEYYYY LONG TIME NO SEE! not really tho.
Anyways one more chapter after this and Hope will either wake up or die. Mhahahah you will have to wait and see!
What do you think of Daryl and Skylins growing relationship?
Did u like this chapter?
Who misses Hope?!
VOTE AND COMMENT!!