XXI. See You Again

CHAPTER TWENTY ONE,
See You Again.

RICK GRIMES HAD NEVER HATED HIMSELF MORE THAN HE DID STANDING ON THAT HIGHWAY

RICK GRIMES HAD NEVER HATED HIMSELF MORE THAN HE DID STANDING ON THAT HIGHWAY. With all the commotion no one had remembered to grab Hope. Almost everyone was there, standing on the highway together, the only people they didn't know the whereabouts of were T-dog, Andrea, Beth, and Hope. But there was a difference, the others, they could fight. Hope was vulnerable, he had left her there and he hated himself. Out of all the people they had lost this one definitely hurt the most. He felt like his heart was ripped out of his chest and he wanted to scream and cry, let the world know how hurt he was. Let god know how much he hated him for taking her away. He didn't only want her but he needed her. They had kids, she couldn't just leave them. She couldn't leave him.

He could only stand there, a broken expression on his face as silent tears streamed down his face. No one talked, not wanting to set him off. After all they had forgotten her too. The only sounds were the sobs escaping Carl, Ryder, and Skylin. The three kids were sitting at Ricks feet holding each other close as they cried over the fate of their mother. Judith was sound asleep in Carols arms, unaware of the grief traveling through the group.

Everyone was in pain, crying as guilt ran through them. Daryl was even shedding tears as he stared off into the distance.

Just as Rick was about to let it all out, say fuck it and go back to try and save her, maybe it wasn't to late, maybe he could bring her home, home to him, a blue truck appeared in the distance.

A small amount of relief washed through him as he realized someone else had made it out, but then he was filled with more pain as he realized that it wouldn't be her. She was gone and it was all his fault. Maybe if he would have just used his brain, remembered her, she would be here right now. It hurt when she was in the coma, but at least she was there, alive and breathing. But now he really had lost her and he fucking hated himself.

Eventually the truck slowed to a stop, no one being able to see who was inside due to the tinted windows, though they could make out the silhouette of two figures.

Moments later the passenger side door opened and Beth hopped out, she slammed the door before turning around, tears in her eyes as she ran into her fathers arms.

The group was relieved, Beth was safe. But this didn't help with the overwhelming feeling of grief that layed on their shoulders.

Then the driver side door opened, T-dog jumped out and sent the group a large smile as he noticed them let out a sigh of relief.

But T-dog didn't do what Beth did, he didn't slam his door and run over to them, instead he turned back to the inside of the truck and started to talk quietly.

Rick furrowed his eyebrows in confusion, there was someone else? There wasn't three people in the truck, he'd only seen two people.

Suddenly T-dog pulled someone out of the truck, though the group still couldn't see who it was as due to them being behind the truck door.