CHAPTER FOUR

gabe and max

gabe and max

. ✧ ・゜. +・o ✧

The party's eyes swivelled to meet Alina's as they saw Gabriel Burton staring right at her. Although confusion was written on all of their faces, Mike seemed to be the one to take charge, raising an eyebrow and jerking his chin at Gabe as if to ask how she knew him. As a completely silent response, Alina mimed running and then tipped her own chin at him to communicate that they'd met while she was jogging outside. She couldn't believe she'd forgotten about him. Gabe was so... memorable. From his button-downs to the odd way he spoke to the fact he'd known about Will.

Mike nodded, and the rest of the party seemed placated with her response, their eyes moving on to the unknown girl, who none of them seemed to recognize. They'd gotten good at talking without words. Then Mr. Clarke spoke. "Ah, these must be our new students."

"Indeed they are," said Principal Coleman, smiling at the class. "All yours." He began to move out of the classroom, and the unknown girl let out a sigh, quickly attempting to move past Mr. Clarke into one of the empty desks at the back. Before she could do so, however, Mr. Clarke let out a chuckle, holding up his hand to halt her.

"All right. Hold up there. You don't get away that easy. Come on up, both of you. Don't be shy."

The new girl rolled her eyes but did as Mr. Clarke said, joining Gabe, who hadn't moved a muscle since waving to Alina, at the front beside her new teacher. Mr. Clarke beamed at them and gestured to the boy beside Alina.

"Dustin," he instructed, "drum roll."

Dustin, who was Mr. Clarke's favourite student, did as he asked, slamming his science textbook shut and tapping on the cover to build up the anticipation. A rush of sympathy went through Alina for Gabe and the new girl, who were both looking supremely uncomfortable already, the girl's cheeks red with embarrassment.

"Class," said Mr. Clarke, "please welcome, all the way from sunny California and Chicago... the latest passengers to join us on our curiosity voyage... Maxine and Gabriel!"