CHAPTER THIRTY-SEVEN

you shouldn't be h-e-r-e

. ✧ ・゜. +・o ✧

Alina had decided not to stay in the shed while Joyce, Mike, Jonathan and Hopper spoke to Will. She knew it was unlikely he'd recognize her—he didn't recognize Hopper, so why would he recognize her?—and found herself wishing the others good luck as she walked back into her own house. Gabe was sitting on the floor against the wall, Skywalker in his lap, Dustin found himself by the window, and the others were in random positions throughout the house. Alina did notice Lucas sitting near Max, though.

She found a spot on the couch and sighed, resting her chin on a pillow. Worry for Will and the three others with him consumed her, and she wondered what, exactly, Will was like now that he was basically full-on possessed by the Mind Flayer. Fortunately, or unfortunately, depending on how you saw it, she didn't have to wonder for long. For something happened as she closed her eyes, and suddenly she was standing up in a puddle of water yet again.

The blackness spreading around her was infinite, and there was no clear source of light. Yet, when she looked down on herself, she was able to see her hands and feet with clarity. Looking around, Alina took a deep breath, feeling freer than she had in ages. Well, this wasn't new. She'd been here before, in her dreams, when Eleven had spoken to her. But for some reason, it didn't feel like a dream right now.

Alina took a cautious step forward, taking another deep breath. She felt full here, in a way she hadn't before. Her cheeks weren't sunken in, her bones weren't jutting out, and she knew that it had gone away, at least temporarily. She bent down, swirling her fingers through the watery substance on the ground, sending her reflection into ripples. And then she saw him.

A little further away was a boy, sitting in a chair, rope binding him to a pole that had been covered by cardboard. Will Byers blinked wildly, his face still illuminated by the white light coming from nowhere now, and Alina found herself sprinting towards him. She stood in front of him, gasping, and looked into his brown eyes. But instead of the warmth she usually saw, Will's eyes were now cold, his pupils dilated. They were deep whirlpools just waiting to suck you in, and as Alina looked into them, she felt shivers run down her spine.