CHAPTER THIRTY-EIGHT

judgement day

judgement day

. ✧ ・゜. +・o ✧

Gabe could hear Should I Stay or Should I Go playing from the shed as he sat inside with his new friends, receiving the radio signals from Hopper, who was relaying the Morse code he'd heard from Will. Since talking about past memories seemed to have worked, Jonathan was now relaying old stories to his brother, who was still inside, still trying to fight back against the Mind Flayer. The first signal blinked out of the radio now—dash, dot, dash, dot. Lucas scanned the guide, finding that their first letter was C.

They relayed it to Nancy, who was in charge of writing down Will's message, and it went on with Mike, Joyce, and Jonathan all telling stories to Will about his life before the Mind Flayer, all of the great things he'd done in his thirteen years of life. As Will listened, he fought against the Mind Flayer, tapping his code onto the side of the chair, and soon enough, the translating group had gotten his message. Two simple words.

Close Gate.

Nancy held it up, and all of them—Steve, Alina, Gabe, Dustin, Max and Lucas read it out loud. Close Gate. Gabe knew the gate meant the portal to the Upside Down that Eleven had opened last year, but before he had any time to process this—and how, exactly, they would go about closing it—the phone suddenly rang, its shrill, piercing tone rattling through the house. Gabe knew it could be heard from the shed, too, and tensed.

"Shit, shit." Dustin ran towards the phone, hanging it up quickly. For a brief, blissful second, the house was silent, but then it started to ring again. Before he could react, Alina had already shot a burst of energy at it, the red light crashing into the phone. It fell off the holder, dangling by its cord, and everyone knew they were royally screwed.

Everyone's eyes widened. Will may now know where they were, and he—well, the Mind Flayer—could send Demodogs after them. Here, inside the house, they were practically defenceless, with the exception of Hopper's guns, Steve's bat, and Alina's abilities. But Gabe knew that they wouldn't be enough, not against an entire army of those things. Apparently, full-grown Demogorgons were resistant, their thick, slimy skin somehow acting as a barrier against human weapons.