CHAPTER THIRTY-TWO

an unexpected reunion

. ✧ ・゜. +・o ✧

Following the cries of the miniature Demogorgons was not something Alina wanted to be doing, especially with her injured leg. She could walk now on her own, albeit slowly, and found herself limping behind the group, making her way through the woods. She needed to tell them how she was feeling soon—even as she thought this, nausea welled up inside her—but not until she knew they were safe. She didn't want to slow her friends down any more than she already had. Guilt swelled in her for that twenty-minute break they'd taken in the bus to bandage up her leg, because they needed to go faster. They needed to find Will, Mike and Joyce, as well as Jonathan and Nancy.

Alina remembered Jonathan telling her he was going to tell Barb's parents the truth about the lab, and wondered whether he'd accomplished his goal or not. And then, because she was thinking about the lab, like Will, she did not expect to come across it once the woods cleared.

She could see it although it was dark out and tendrils of fog still curled around the ground. She could see the blinking lights on the roof off in the distance and visibly tensed, her heart immediately beating faster, even as Dustin, cluelessly, said, "I don't see them."

Lucas brought his binoculars to his eyes, scanning the area. After a moment, he stopped. "It's the lab," he concluded. He put his binoculars down. "They were going back home."

Alina swallowed, looking through her own binoculars. She hated the sight of Hawkins Lab, and the tainted memories she had within it, but today she was more confused. Because it was completely dark. No lights were on, which was strange, given that her dad had told her the power was supposed to run 24/7. Which meant...

"They must be attacking the lab," she concluded. "The power's out. Usually it only goes out in emergencies." She squinted, pressing the binoculars into her eyes more. "It must be on a full lockdown, too. That's what happens when the power shuts down."

"How do you know all of that?" Max asked.

"I told you," said Alina, lowering her binoculars. "My dad worked there."