CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE

the super spy

the super spy

. ✧ ・゜. +・o ✧

After school, Alina and Mike separated from the others and made their way to Alina's house. Alina thought it was quite strange to be out here with just him, and she realized that what she'd thought earlier had been true; she and Mike didn't spend that much one-on-one time together. It was peculiar, the friends you had that you never talked to when they were apart from the others, and both of the young teenagers felt that peculiarity as they made their way to Alina's house. As she got closer and closer, Alina's heart thudded more and more, and she had a sinking suspicion that whatever she would find at home was not good. But she forced herself to keep pedaling.

They arrived back home in good time, and Alina stopped to tie her shoes. While she was looping one bunny ear over another, she heard the telltale sound of Mike knocking on the door and stood up in confusion. "Will!" he was calling. "Mrs. Byers?"

Alina just rolled her eyes, pulling out the spare key from the pouch in her backpack. "Mike, you dumbass, I live here," she chuckled, before sobering up at the look on Mike's face. He was a lot more worried about Will than he had even let on today. And in his big brown eyes—puppy dog eyes, as Dustin had once referred to them as—she could see the fear in them. And so she stopped smiling.

Before she could put her keys in the door, however, it opened, revealing a frazzled-looking Joyce. Her face softened at the sight of the two kids standing on the porch. "Hey, Mike. Hi, Alina."

"Is Will here?" Mike immediately asked.

"You know what?" Joyce said. "Now is not a really good time."

"Is he okay?" Alina questioned, taking a step forward. Her heart began to pound harder.

Joyce breathed out a sigh, moving forward and closing the door behind her. "Yeah. You know, he's... he's not feeling real well. He's laying down, so I'll tell him you stopped by, okay? And Alina... how about you go to Lucas's for a while? You know, you don't want to be catching his..."