CHAPTER THIRTY

old talents

old talents

. ✧ ・゜. +・o ✧

"There." Steve pointed out the window of the bus, watching as a creature about the size of a dog emerged from the fog in the junkyard. Alina moved towards him, the itch in her palms getting worse. She was energized, more than she'd ever been, and tapped her foot against the bus floor, breathing hard. Something inside her wanted out, and it wanted out now. The urge was so consuming Alina had to thrust her hands into her pockets to keep from letting it go. Keep from letting it free.

"What's he doing?" Dustin asked nervously.

"I don't know."

"That's Dart?" Gabe asked, joining them at the window, too. "Jesus, when you guys said he'd grown you really meant it. Like, I knew he was dangerous, but I thought he was gonna be the size of a squirrel or something, but he's moved on to be the size of a—" he noticed all eyes had moved to his, and laughed nervously. "Shutting up now."

Alina looked out the window, too, expecting Dart to make a move towards the pile of meat they'd set up for it, but the creature didn't. It just stood at the edge menacingly, its low growls loud enough to be heard through the reinforced bus door. "He's not taking the bait," Steve noted. "Why is he not taking the bait?"

"Maybe he's not hungry?" Dustin suggested.

Steve clenched his jaw. "Maybe he's sick of cow." And at that, he pulled away from the window, determination in his eyes.

"Steve?" Dustin asked, as Steve moved towards the door. "Steve, what are you doing?"

"Steve, you seriously can't be thinking of going out there," said Gabe. "There are a million things that can go wrong. You could die."

Steve tossed the lighter to Dustin, his face resigned. "Just get ready."

The itching had grown worse. Alina shut her eyes, breathing hard, but opened them again when she heard the metal door of the bus slide open. Steve took a deep breath, clutching his bat in his hands, and made his way outside. Alina's bouncing got worse. She was afraid if she did anything, whatever was locked inside of her—as it had been for a year—would be let out. But she knew what was happening to her.