CHAPTER FORTY-NINE

against all odds

against all odds

. ✧ ・゜. +・o ✧

Just over twenty minutes before Lucas and Gabe got the message from Mike Wheeler, Alina Fairgrieves woke up, which was quite unexpected. The doctors had tried to tell her friends gently that she might not ever wake from her state of unconsciousness, because they knew the odds were not good for her. So when Alina Fairgrieves blinked blearily at the white ceiling of the hospital room regardless, swamped in a hospital gown quite a lot like the one Will was wearing, it was safe to say that a few jaws dropped.

Her head was pounding, a steady rattling at the base of her skull, and as Alina's eyes began to focus, she was more aware of the feelings swirling inside of her. The guilt, the anger, the fear, all congealing at the pit of her stomach like old jars you'd find at the back of your fridge. In short, the feelings were old feelings, but they sat there like they were brand new.

Cold sheets slid over her legs, and there was something—there was something going into her arm. Alina turned her head a little, pain racketing through her, and saw a package of fluid making its way into her arm. An IV drip. Alina raised her other hand, feeling the tubes that were entering her nostrils, and that motion—as well as the increased heart rate in the steadily beeping monitor by her bed—was what alerted the doctors that Alina Fairgrieves, against all odds, had woken up.

Blurry faces swam over her, asking her basic questions like her name and age. Alina answered them all truthfully, her voice croaky from the lack of use, but there was something off about all of this, and that was that she had no idea what had brought her here. Why was she in the hospital? Why did her head ache like someone had gone at it with a jackhammer? Why was there an IV in her arm and tubes in her nose?

She tried to think back to the last thing she remembered before waking up, but only got a blurry mix of fear, pain, and the scent of grass and blood intermingling in her nostrils. Concentrating a little harder, Alina managed to see the bloom of a flame beginning to eat away everything, the voices rattling her head, the doubling, then tripling, then quadrupling of her vision, the blood, the energy, and her eyes shot open even wider.