CHAPTER FORTY-SEVEN

deconstruction and old memories

. ✧ ・゜. +・o ✧

    The girl was closing the gate. Such a pitiless thing, easy to swat away, and yet she was closing it, one arm outstretched, blood, the fluid that was locked into human bodies, trickling easily from her nose. The man—the one they'd almost managed to kill, wrapping their tendrils around—had a gun, and he stood beside her protectively, ready to shoot if anything attacked. They knew that guns didn't do harm to their flesh, but there still was one vessel that could be hurt by those bullets, and it was a vessel the Mind Flayer very much wanted to keep.

With dazed eyes, what had previously been another girl stood in the tunnels among the others. Red energy wrapped around its hands, swirling and twisting through lithe fingers, and it spread to the waiting creatures among it. They took it in, breathing in energy that felt like fire, and then growled, opening their mouths, which had been compared to flowers and stars but really would never be as beautiful, letting the red form around their gaping jaws. They'd left the lab, flooded into the tunnels when they felt the lick of flames burning their insides, even though they'd been told to stay behind.

What had been a girl had failed at its mission, and the hub burned, the smoke swirling up throughout the tunnels. But now it gave its energy to the ones waiting, so perhaps they might survive a little bit longer. Rufescent blood trickled out of its own nostrils, and it closed its eyes, preparing for the end. Because this was the end of the world, and they all knew it. They just wanted to survive a little longer.

The Mind Flayer didn't give up that easily, though.

As the girl fought to close the gate and the Mind Flayer fought against, six teenagers stood in the tunnels, the horror of their current situation dawning on them. They had been running, running away, unaware of the fact that one of them wasn't among the group. One of them was in the tunnels, on her own, with no way out.

"What are we going to do?" Gabe's voice was several octaves higher than normal as he spoke, looking around the tunnels, as if expecting Alina Fairgrieves to suddenly come running, apologize with a laugh for being so slow. He knew that wasn't realistic, though, and guilt squirmed inside of him like a worm on a hook. He took a deep breath, his heart thudding in his ears. "We have to go back for her."