CHAPTER FIVE

my friends, the stalkers

. ✧ ・゜. +・o ✧

The only problem with Alina's plan to introduce herself to Max was that she had no idea where the new girl had gone. So, with a sigh, she began to wander the halls, searching for any sign of her. Perhaps if she did end up finding Max, she could ask her once and for all if she really was Mad Max, and solve her friends' stupid mystery.

Alina scuffed her feet as she walked. The halls were mostly empty, many of the students playing outside during recess, so it was easy enough for her to make her way around. Breathe, Alina. She repeated her comforting chant in her head over and over, especially as she got nearer to the section of the wall her dad had propped himself up against the day he died. When she passed it, she averted her eyes, staring at the ceiling, but that didn't help her from seeing the blood that had drenched the tiles that day. Suddenly, she stopped thinking of breathing, and was reliving the moment over again.

Blood. There was so much blood and destruction and ruin. Alina closed her eyes, but that only made the scene even clearer. As Alina watched, she opened her mouth and let out a scream, red light bursting out of her and slamming into the walls. Stop. Stop it. She couldn't breathe. Couldn't move. Kept seeing her dad's dead eyes piercing right into her.

"Midnight Girl."

Alina's eyes opened, and she realized she was just standing in the middle of the hall, her breath leaving her in sharp gasps. And right in front of her was Daniel Tree, staring at her with his lip curling.

Daniel Tree had obviously looked up to Troy and James, the bullies who had somehow managed to graduate Hawkins Middle and moved on to Hawkins High. He was a tall but skinny white boy with red hair that stuck straight up on his head, and a face pockmarked with acne. He'd been picking on her and Will more than anyone else this past year. He'd even spray-painted Will's locker once, and had ended up in the office with a broken nose. Mike's doing. But he still wouldn't relent.

Perhaps last year, before everything bad had happened, that week when Alina began to feel confident in herself, she would've stood up to him. Midnight Girl? She'd say. How about you come up with a more creative nickname instead of stealing them from Troy and James? It wasn't even creative in the first place.