CHAPTER THIRTY-FOUR

t is for trauma

t is for trauma

. ✧ ・゜. +・o ✧

Alina Fairgrieves knelt beside Will's unconscious form, clutching his cold hand in hers. Tears spilled down her cheeks as she looked at him, so small and helpless, but something dark living inside of him. He was wearing a hospital gown that was too big for him (reminding her uncomfortably of Eleven) and his eyes were closed, a peaceful expression on his face. If she hadn't known any better, she would've thought he was sleeping. But Hopper had filled them all in. About what they'd seen. About what had happened within the confines of Hawkins Lab. About the shadow monster that was now using Will Byers as a human puppet.

Jonathan was holding Will's other hand, muttering words of apology for not being there while Nancy rubbed his back. He and Alina exchanged looks of miserable sorrow—they'd lost so much in the span of only a few hours. Will was deteriorating inside, a plaything to a being older than them all. And Bob was dead, his insides used as Demogorgon food.

Eventually, Alina couldn't bare looking at Will's face, and stood up. Her chest was hollow, another piece of her heart chipped away when she thought about Bob. What was the last thing she'd said to him? Had she told him that he was a part of her family? Had she told him that they all loved him?

Again and again, she saw Bob die in front of her, the image sometimes flickering to the dead eyes of her dad. Her nausea got worse and worse with every replay, and she had to sit down, her head in her hands. Mike, who was sitting at the table beside her, tapped her arm, and she looked up at him. His hair was a mess, and his eyes were rimmed with red, his gaunt face betraying the fact that whatever he'd seen in the lab had deeply traumatized him.

"Are you okay?" he asked, and she shook her head. Joyce was currently in her bedroom, sobbing, the loss of Bob cutting deeper into her than it had for anyone else. She'd given Alina and Jonathan a quick hug when she'd seen her before retreating there, and Alina couldn't muster up the courage to go check on her.

"I'm sorry," she said, and the tears began to fall again. "I should've stayed. I should've helped you. Instead I went out to find Lucas and Dustin and I ruined everything. I should've been there for you. And Will. And... and Bob."