CHAPTER THIRTY-ONE

an argument in the woods

. ✧ ・゜. +・o ✧

"So, let me get this straight," Gabe said, leaning against the wall of the bus. His heart thumped hard in his chest as he tried to process everything that he'd just been told. "Will didn't get lost in the woods last year. He was actually kidnapped by a creature from another dimension that brought him to said dimension. He managed to survive by hiding, but everyone else taken died there, including Mike's sister's best friend. And you guys, who were twelve at the time, fought it? And managed to actually win? How is that possible?"

Lucas, who was wrapping Alina's leg in a bandage Dustin had brought along just in case, the girl in question lying back on a bus seat with her eyes closed, wincing in pain as pressure was applied to her injury, nodded. "We had Eleven," he said, tearing the strip of bandage off with his teeth. "She was kind of awesome."

"Right, right." Gabe nodded, too. His head was spinning from the weight of all the new information that had been piled onto him in the past twenty minutes. "And Alina has powers, too? Because her mom did those experiment things? MKSupreme or something like that?"

"MKUltra," Alina corrected, her teeth gritted as Lucas finished tying the bandage around her leg. They'd decided to take twenty minutes before leaving to let her rest and be absolutely certain that those miniature Demogorgons were not going to come back. Because apparently that's what they decided to name those terrible creatures last year. After a board game. "MKSupreme sounds like a special at Taco Bell."

"Yeah, okay, sure," said Gabe. "But why did your powers like... disappear? For a whole year? That doesn't seem right, does it? Especially after you only had them for like a week? Like, I've read a lot of comic books, and powers don't go away unless you have a reason."

"That doesn't seem right?" Max repeated incredulously. "What about everything else? You seriously can't be believing in all of that stuff with the men from the lab and whatever."

"My dad was one of those men," said Alina. Gabe noted how she'd said was. "We're telling the truth, Max. We wouldn't lie to you, especially not after this." She opened her eyes, wincing as she stretched out her leg. But she was in no danger of dying from blood loss, Gabe knew, because although the teeth marks were disgusting, they weren't deep. Her leg still would need to be disinfected, however, as who knew what diseases the teeth of creatures carried, but they couldn't exactly do that now.