CHAPTER FORTY-ONE

he'll kill us

he'll kill us

. ✧ ・゜. +・o ✧

  After watching the two cars head in separate directions on their mission to save the world, Gabriel Burton decided to do something long overdue, and so it was that he found himself heading to the living room. He picked the phone off of the ground and typed in a couple of numbers on the keypad to see if it would work. Although it was a little scorched, the top of it blackened a little from Alina's energy, it still seemed in working use, so it was with bated breath that Gabe dialled his home phone number, his heart hammering in his chest. As he listened to the ringing, he tried to figure out which option was worse—the option where his grandparents picked up the phone, or the one where they didn't. But when the first option occurred, Gabe found out that he'd have quite preferred the second one.

"Hello?" his grandma's voice creaked out of the phone. Dolores Burton was a woman who didn't take anybody's nonsense. She'd been grossly mistreated in her past, with an abusive ex-husband, but instead of the story ending badly, as one might've expected for a woman like her, a woman who seemed, at least on the surface, very naïve and doting, it instead ended with Thomas Friar being found unconscious in a dumpster after being smacked over the head with a frying pan. So she was kind of a badass.

Gabe didn't respond for a moment, his breath catching in his throat. He didn't want to speak, didn't want to hear the screaming that would most likely come out of the phone when he said anything. But he swallowed and forced himself to do it anyway.

"Hi, grandma."

"Gabriel Jacob Burton, where in the hell have you been?!"

And there it was, and the full name, too, which meant that he was really in trouble. Gabe tried to get out an excuse—something feeble like how he'd lost track of time—but Dolores was already shouting. "Your grandfather and I have been worried sick about you! We thought you might've gotten kidnapped or mugged! Why didn't you think of calling us and telling us where you were going?! We raised you better than this!"