EPILOGUE

the taste of fruit punch

. ✧ ・゜. +・o ✧

Hawkins Middle School had been transformed into a winter wonderland, a breathtakingly magical paradise fit for this night. The school had gone all out-even the entrance was immaculately decorated with glowing Christmas trees and paper snowflakes hanging on the walls. Mr. Clarke, who was responsible for signing people in, looked up at the sound of the door, and smiled when he saw the siblings. He was wearing a Christmas sweater, a substitute from the sweater vests he often wore in class.

"You two look great!" Mr. Clarke complimented, his eyes taking in their brand-new outfits. Alina swished the skirt of her dress and smiled back at her science teacher. It was strange to think that this was her last year in Hawkins Middle, and that this time next year she'd been in high school. But she had time. For once, she actually had time.

"Thank you," said Will, his cheeks red with embarrassment and nervousness as he looked around at the other students already inside. Everyone was almost unrecognizable, and even the kids who usually looked like they hadn't showered in three days had their faces scrubbed clean, wanting to impress a potential dance partner. There was nothing bad about dancing with your friends (at least, that was what Alina told herself as she looked around) but seeing couples begin to form made her wish for the same.

"It's an improvement," she managed to smirk now, turning back to her teacher. "This place looks amazing. You guys have really outdone yourselves."

"Well, it's a night to remember," said Mr. Clarke. "I hope you two have fun."

"We will!" Alina and Will chorused, and then they pushed through the doors, entering the gymnasium-the true attraction of tonight. A tunnel of white and blue balloons arched over them as they entered, and silver tassels hung from the ceiling, which was also crisscrossed with golden Christmas lights. More paper snowflakes speckled the wall and a huge, glittering sign proclaiming the Snow Ball sparkled over their heads. Students kicked fallen balloons this way and that way as they danced, and Alina and Will wove their way through the crowd to the tables, where most of the party had gathered.