CHAPTER THIRTY-FIVE

the monster's new name

. ✧ ・゜. +・o ✧

The dining room was quiet, the silence punctuated only by the sounds of someone wiping tears off their face or Skywalker's soft purrs as Alina clutched him to her chest. Max was now staring off into space, and Lucas had moved back to his own seat, biting his lip and trying not to convey the sadness in his eyes. Gabe propped his head up with his hands, closing his eyes and trying to take deep breaths. He was enjoying the quiet when Mike suddenly stood up, walking to the living room. Gabe's eyes shot open as he watched him grab a brain teaser—a blue box tied with a string—and held it in his hands, his thumbs tracing over the grooves in the box.

"Did you guys know that Bob was the original founder of Hawkins AV?" Mike asked.

"Really?" asked Lucas, glancing at Alina, who had looked up at Mike at that. Oh, yeah. With everything going on, Gabe had almost forgotten that they were in the AV Club. They were using the room for their secret meetings, but he had never seen them actually do anything with the radios. Perhaps everything with Dart had distracted them.

Mike turned to them, unshed tears glistening in his eyes. "He petitioned the school to start it and everything," he said. "Then he had a fund-raiser for equipment." He began to walk towards them. "Mr. Clarke learned everything from him. "Pretty awesome, right?"

"Yeah," the others chorused, as Mike put the brain teaser on the table. Alina picked it up, holding it in her hands, another sob making its way out of her throat. A wave of sorrow went through Gabe for her. She'd lost her dad, she'd lost her friend, and now she'd lost someone else. It wasn't fair.

Mike clenched his jaw, watching Alina. "We can't let him die in vain."

"Seriously, what do you wanna do, Mike?" Dustin asked, frustrated that he was repeating the same thing he'd said only a couple of minutes ago. "The Chief's right on this. We can't stop those Demodogs on our own."

"Demodogs?" Max repeated, her eyebrows raising.

"Demogorgon dogs," explained Dustin, using his hands to demonstrate. "Demodogs. It's like a compound. It's like a play on words, you know, it—"