CHAPTER SEVEN

movie nights and reconciliations 

. ✧ ・゜. +・o ✧

Alina sat next to Will on the couch, sharing a bowl of popcorn as they watched the movie. It had exactly the right amount of butter on it, and Alina kept grabbing large handfuls and stuffing them into her mouth, and Will would have to remind her that he also wanted some, too. Then Alina would nod, only taking popcorn in twos, and then she'd swipe another handful again and the entire cycle would continue.

"We can always make more," Joyce said, turning and smiling fondly at them. She was leaning against Bob on the couch, and the two of them laughed at basically every line in the movie. Alina was happy for her. She deserved happiness in her life, and the movie was funny. Even though Alina had recently been hit with a wave of exhaustion from today, she kept giggling along with Will.

It was strange. Alina's mood had definitely been weird since her dad and Eleven had died. One moment she'd be laughing, the next she'd be frowning, wondering why she was so happy when her loved ones were dead. One moment she'd be smiling, the next she'd be suppressing tears as she pictured the event over and over again.

What she didn't tell anybody was that she didn't exactly remember everything that had happened. She remembered being held in an agent's arms. She remembered breaking free. She remembered fighting against the Demogorgon in the classroom. But then, after Eleven's last words, it was all blank until her dad had died. She didn't even remember most of her conversation with him until his last words.

Of course, Alina did know what had happened. Her friends and the police had gone over it over and over again. Eleven had screamed, and the Demogorgon had let out its final cry before dissolving into pieces, which had overcome the girl. When they cleared, she was gone.

They'd all called for her, and then, after Alina had realized that Eleven was dead, she'd gone to find her dad. But Alina couldn't recall any of it. When she thought back to those parts, it was like they were just a dream. Like they hadn't happened.

PTSD. That's what the doctors in Hawkins Lab said, and although Alina was usually not inclined to trust anyone from there, she knew they were telling the truth. Alina and Will had both been diagnosed with it eight months ago, but their friends hadn't. They were more resilient.