CHAPTER NINE

who you gonna call

who you gonna call

. ✧ ・゜. +・o ✧

The next morning, Alina woke up with the nightmare she'd had last night a fuzzy memory. Sometime during the night, Will had left, and she was therefore alone. But she was safe, and she was alive, and so with newfound determination, Alina threw off her covers. She was going to have a damn good Halloween, and she didn't care what anyone said or did. It was going to happen.

She got dressed, changing into normal clothes and packing her costume into her bag. It was quite simple, a black turtleneck and leggings with felt bones sewed onto them, but she'd worked on it for ages, and had even consulted Mr. Clarke in order to make it anatomically accurate. She'd also bought skeleton gloves from the Halloween store with some of her excess change to complete the look. She stared at the costume now, thinking that maybe she could go into being a doctor when she got older, but then she remembered all of the blood that would come with it and shot that idea down.

After packing black and white face paint in case she wanted to paint her face at school, Alina slung her bag over her shoulder and headed into the kitchen. Joyce and Jonathan were already there, and the smell of eggs met her nostrils. They had eggs quite a lot for breakfast, but Alina didn't mind. She was opening the cabinet to get cat food out for Skywalker when Jonathan finally turned to look at her.

"What happened to your costume?" he asked her, confused. "I thought you were going to go as a skeleton."

"I am," said Alina, standing on her tiptoes to reach Skywalker's cat food, the cat in question curled up on his bed, meowing. She pulled his breakfast out of the cabinet. "I knew you were going to want to take pictures, but I'd prefer it if you did it after school. Also, it's grade eight now. I don't know if anyone's going to wear a costume to school. But if I go and everyone is, I'll change. If not, I'll stay as it is."

"That's smart thinking, honey," smiled Joyce, pouring a glass of orange juice. "Hey, I'll be right back. I'm going to go wake Will up." And with that, she set the orange juice down on the counter and strode off to find Alina's friend. Alina heard her calling down the hall for him. "Will! Come on, honey, up and at 'em."