CHAPTER NINETEEN

yet another episode

yet another episode

. ✧ ・゜. +・o ✧

The party—plus Max and Gabe—decided to split up in order to look for Dart more efficiently. Alina found herself paired with Lucas, while Gabe followed Will, the others going on their own. Mike hadn't originally wanted Gabe or Max to help, but Gabe insisted following Will, who said he didn't mind, and Max just tossed her hair and decided to go alone. It wasn't like they had anything better to do.

Alina didn't really want to be spending her after-school hours looking for a creature from the Upside Down, but she had no choice. She didn't want the creepy little thing to end up in her house, or anyone else's houses, for that matter. And so she followed Lucas, walkie-talkie at the ready in case she spotted the small thing.

"East is clear," Mike's voice crackled over the walkie-talkie. "No sign of Dart."

It was a moment before Dustin spoke. "West is clear, too. Will? Gabe?"

"South is clear," said Will over the walkie-talkie. "Lucas? Al? Anything?

Lucas and Alina didn't speak, hurrying to finish up checking their side of the school. There was one more classroom left, and Lucas put his finger on his lips as they hustled towards it. Alina nodded, and Lucas smiled, ran, and kicked the door open. It opened with a bang, revealing a classroom—but unlike the other ones they'd been in, it wasn't empty.

"Excuse me! Mr. Sinclair! Miss Fairgrieves!" it was a teacher Alina didn't remember the name of, but she obviously remembered them. Lucas and Alina both halted in their tracks, warmth crawling up their faces as the teacher glared at them, one hand on her hip.

"S-sorry," Lucas stammered. "We were looking for s...study hall!" he backed out of the classroom. "Bye!"

"Sorry!" Alina called, too, before leaving the classroom with him. She let out a slight laugh as the two backed away. "Whoops."

Lucas was grinning, too, and he held his walkie-talkie up to his lips. "Nothing here, man."

"Yep, all clear in the North," Alina added.