CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

fairgrieves the lunatic

. ✧ ・゜. +・o ✧

    The bell rang, signaling the end of lunch, and the seven teenagers made their way out of the AV Room, all of them reeling from Dustin's discovery. Dustin had put Dart securely back in his ghost trap, Alina watching with disgust. She had a bad feeling about the slimy little creature, which was one of the reasons she had declined to have it dropped into her hands. Adding in whatever was moving inside of it and Alina knew that Dart wasn't an ordinary creature.

"We gotta show him to Mr. Clarke," said Lucas, who was in the lead to head back to class. He seemed more excited than grossed out by the creature, even though he had initially been when he held him. But Dustin just shook his head.

"No, what if he steals my discovery?" He sounded nervous, as if that was actually a thing that Mr. Clarke would do. Their science teacher, who wore sweater vests and got excited at the number of cells within the human brain, who always encouraged them to keep their curiosity door open. It was a joke. Besides, Dustin's discovery wasn't that monumental. Whatever that thing was had probably already been discovered before, and Dustin just hadn't found it yet.

Mike seemed to agree with her, because he let out a snort. "He's not gonna steal your discovery."

"Yeah," said Alina. "That's not something Mr. Clarke would do."

"You know," said Dustin thoughtfully, "I'm thinking about calling it Dustonious pollywogus." He turned to Max, who'd just sped up to join them, leaving Will and Gabe walking slightly behind them, unspeaking. "What do you think?"

"I think you're an idiot," the girl replied, shaking her head with a grin on her face.

"You know, when I become rich and famous for this one day, don't come crawling back to me, saying 'Oh my God, Dustin, I'm so sorry for being mean to you back in eighth grade. Oh my God.'" His voice pitched in an imitation of a girl's voice, Dustin flaunted his hips, making Max roll her eyes.