CHAPTER FORTY-THREE

king steve

king steve

. ✧ ・゜. +・o ✧

When Gabriel Burton witnessed Alina fall to the ground, he knew they were doomed. If the girl with abilities couldn't get this guy off of Lucas, then nobody could.

When Billy had come in, Gabe had been frozen in his place, his limbs turned to ice. He'd taken one look into Max's stepbrother's eyes, which were pools of darkness and malice, goblets full of poison and chemicals dripping off of countertops and had instantly been terrified. He could feel Billy's eyes scrutinizing him, his nose wrinkling subtly as he looked at him—well, not really him. Billy saw his skin and that was it, like he was only a shell for some so-called evil that lurked within. Gabe didn't feel evil, not at all. He just felt like a kid. But Billy didn't see that.

"You are so dead, Sinclair!" Billy roared now, resisting the urge to cup his genitals, which Lucas had slammed his foot into while taking advantage of his momentary distraction. The ice cracked at Billy's words, and Gabe suddenly blinked as if snapped out of a trance. Where are the knives? Where are the knives? He thought desperately, his heart hammering in his chest, but then he remembered he'd put them away after the intruder had been revealed to be Eleven instead of a fearsome hoard of Demodogs. He didn't know what to do. He'd never been prepared for anything like this.

As everyone watched, their breaths leaving them in heavy gasps, Alina groaning on the floor, clutching her stomach, Billy hissed at Lucas, who was now standing in front of the cabinet, paralyzed in fear, "You're dead." He started forward, aiming to take revenge on the assault to his manhood, when suddenly Steve, who Gabe hadn't even realized had come inside, grabbed Billy, shoving him away from the defenceless boy. Gabe couldn't see his face, but he knew he wasn't happy.

"No," said Steve, as Billy let out a grunt of pain. "You are!" Then he swung a punch at Billy, cracking him right in the nose, and Billy let out another groan as Steve's fist connected with his flesh.

Alina finally looked able to breathe, and Gabe and Max both stepped forward, helping the girl up. Alina was trembling, and the bandage that had been tied neatly around her leg was turning red. Shit. She slumped, blood running out of her nose as she watched Billy stand up, unfazed. Instead of being in pain, Billy was laughing.