Chapter 9

Hello! Thank you guys so much for reading :) chapters will be slow but I'm loving this book and want to get it out to you guys!

<><><><>

She didn't want to wake up.

Lilia knew that the other wolves in the room could probably sense the change in her heartbeat. She could feel Lev curled around her, grooming her, and every few seconds he let out a loud puff of air onto her fur. His mouth nudged itself under hers and lifted it up. Lev must've known she was awake.

She finally let her eyes open and let her body relax a little once she'd looked around and noticed the horrible man wasn't in the room.

Lev purred lowly and nudged her again, so she sighed and stood on shaky legs. His body was really, really warm and she never wanted to leave it.

Lilia let Lev's mouth pick her up by the scruff of her neck and drop his body off of the bed. She was carried slowly back to Lev's. Lilia started to fidget in her mate's mouth—she didn't want to go back into the cold cave. A quick growl from Lev shut her up but her body was still tensed until they reached the spot where she had passed out earlier.

There was a pile of...cloth? Random colored cloths filled the space, and now Lilia was fidgeting for a different reason. Lev carefully set her down and watched her run, then jump into the pile. He panicked slightly when she completely disappeared from view only to see her head pop up with a goofy smile.

Lev was scared to leave her alone again.

He laid on the edge of the cloth and watched her snuggle into them. Lilia was just about to fall asleep again when she felt her mate stand up. Her ears twitched, finally catching the sound of footsteps, and she carefully stood up as well.

Lev moved to stand over her so she could be slightly hidden from view.

"Lev, I've let you relax from training long enough. Back to work," the man crossed his arms. Though Lilia knew her mate was physically stronger than that mean man, but she didn't know if her mate knew that. Why did Lev need to train so much?

This must be the reason this "pack" was so strong and could eliminate practically every pack in its path. Lilia began to shake when she realized just how close her and her family were to dying. She just wanted time with her mate. Why did everything have to be so complicated?

Lev turned around and pushed her lightly into the pile of fabric. He covered her with a few pieces before turning to the man and following him outside of the den.

At least she was warm this time.

Her sleep was once again interrupted by that man a few minutes later. He walked in without Lev and her body subconsciously began to shake. Her mate wasn't here to protect her from him, and even if she howled the den was so big Lilia knew it wouldn't help.

She tried to cover herself up a little bit more and pretend she wasn't there. He used his foot to push her out of her comfortable spot, leaving her to roll over a few times before being able to stand up.

"Shift," the man muttered. His body stance and tone of voice suggested he thought she was wasting his precious time. Lilia was thankful the man wasn't a real Alpha and couldn't command her to shift. "Now."

When she didn't make any move to shift the man pushed her with his foot again. Lilia slid back until she hit one of the walls of the den roughly. A whimper escaped her mouth, taking with it all of the breath in her body.

Lilia wheezed a few times before she was able to stand. She crawled over to the cloth and dug herself underneath it. Though she was scared she'd get hurt more in her human skin, she could communicate more that way.

The cloth managed to cover her skin from neck to mid-thigh once she'd shifted. The Mann growled and stepped forward to kneel next to her.

"Who are you?" Lilia asked, tucking her tangled hair behind her ear. She covered up the rest of her skin with the cloth. His gaze on her body was almost making her physically ill.

"I think you should answer that first, sweetheart." His grin seemed dirty and it made her feel dirty.

"I—I asked you first." Lilia wanted to smack herself as soon as she said that. The man smirked and kicked some of the cloth aside.

"My name is Roman, little girl. Your turn," His smirk turned into an intimidating frown.

"L—Lilia. Where did Lev go?"

"You mean your mate?" Roman's evil smirk was back.

"Who are you?" Disbelief coated her voice. She wanted to know how he had so much power over her mate. Lilia just wanted to leave.

"Where are you from?" Roman ignored her questions and moved closer to her. She gulped and scooted away from him a little bit.

"Why do you need to know?"

"My strongest warrior disappears for a week and then returns with a pup from some random pack and it turns out to be his mate. Do you know how many of my warriors have mates?"

"How many?"

"None," Roman snarled. His hand gripped her hair right at her forehead and used it to tilt her head up. Her eyes filled with tears and she was really starting to regret coming with her mate.

Mates were supposed to lead a lifetime of happiness, yet Lilia had felt nothing but fear since she left her mom and Aunt Johanna.

"I have done," Lilia swallowed her fear, "nothing wrong."

"You've done everything wrong!" He shouted and used her hair to start lifting her body in the air. Lilia let out a loud noise of distress and clutched all the cloth she could to her body.

"Lev!" Lilia shouted her mate's name as Roman lifted her body higher and higher into the air. Seconds later the familiar, large, furry form that made up Lev came skidding into the room.

It took him less than a second to have his jaw locked around Roman's neck. Lilia's body flopped onto the pile of cloth and she scrambled to cover her entire body with it. A dark green cloth moved over her face and she tried to take calm, deep breaths.

She tried to breathe, listening to the sounds of snarling in the room, but sobs came out instead. She was alone, she was scared, and she was naked.

Lilia just wanted to go home.

"Lev, freeze. Now." The sounds of snarling immediately stopped and Lilia was too afraid to lift the cloth off of her face. A few moments of silence passed before Lilia saw large teeth carefully lift what she was beginning to pull her "comfort cloth" off of her face.

Lev's grumpy face greeted her teary eyes.

He snarled and turned to Roman, who was slowly getting to his face and wiping some blood off of his arms.

Sadly, Lev hadn't decapitated Roman like Lilia had hoped. She flinched and cried a little more at the disgusting thoughts filling her head. She was never leaving Lev's side around Roman.

"Lev?" She sniffled. Lev rubbing his wolf-y cheek against her human one while keeping an eye on Roman. He was staring at them, hatred in his eyes, and Lilia scrambled backwards, slightly uncovering her body and Roman's eyes quickly glanced over the exposed skin.

Lev covered her body with a snarl and she gratefully wrapped her torso around his wolf form.

"Get out," she whispered to Roman. Lev growled in agreement, nodding his head towards the entrance of his den.

"Now."

<><><>

Have a great day!! thank you again for reading :)