Chapter 25

I think this is my favorite chapter I've written in this book thus far! I hope you enjoy it too!

********

Lilia sniffled and wiped her eyes several times while following Alpha Blaton to a medical room.

Dr. Nylan had thought of a few ideas to check on Lev's Lycan on the flight over here, they'd said. She heard the robes of the Council swishing behind her and tried not to tremble in trepidation.

Lev purposefully brushed his back under her hands and sighed in relief when she clenched his fur. He had also never heard of this "Council" before, but he wasn't as intimidated as Lilia.

He knew he was stronger than all of them combined. Lev would protect her and himself if things went awry.

"Into this room right here, Council," Doctor Walahan motioned. It was similar to the room Lilia and Lev spent most of their time in, only larger. They didn't know this existed.

Lilia walked quickly to the far corner of the room near the examination bed. Lev followed and stared at the Council as they entered and stood against one wall.

Dr. Nylan and Dr. Walahan spoke quietly outside of the room before entering and shutting the door. Alpha Blaton stood in front of it so no one could come in from the outside.

"From what I have heard," Dr. Nylan pulled on some gloves, "it seems to me your Lycan is stuck behind something. We just have to figure out what."

"Shift, please." Doctor Walahan spoke quietly to Lev. Lilia respectfully turned her glance towards the other side of the room. Lev noticed the Council was not going to look away and growled under his breath when he shifted.

Both doctors were quick to cover him up and Lilia soon turned around to reach for Lev's hand as she always did when he shifted.

"Please, no contact with him at the moment," Dr. Nylan reached for Lilia's hand. She didn't want the physical contact with the stranger and was also disappointed and confused about why she wasn't able to touch her mate.

She lost her view of Lev and was forced to stare at the white coats both doctors were wearing as they leaned over her mate.

Lev's growl vibrated through Lilia's chest and she thought she could feel her ribs rattling inside her body. She stepped up to touch him before remembering that she couldn't.

"L-il," came from in front of the doctors. This time, Lilia ignored the doctor's words and grabbed his hand again.

"Can you walk us through what you're going to do, Dr. Nylan?" Lilia asked, a little aggravated that they hadn't asked for any sort of permission.

"I don't—"

"If he is such a sacred Lycan, then why are you not asking him for consent to touch him?" Lilia clearly expressed her frustration. Alpha Luke stepped forward and gripped Lilia's shoulder to pull her away from the conversation but she shook him off.

"Such disrespect," Councilman Jarold admonished with a sneer. Lev fought to sit up with a snarl even louder than before.

"I do not mean to be rude, Council, but I think you've forgotten that Lev is above you. Don't disrespect him, and we won't have a problem," Alpha Blaton spoke loudly. Lev stopped growling.

Councilman Jarold clenched his jaw and Councilwoman Longworth pulled the Council together to speak. Lilia stepped closer to Lev and clenched his hand tighter while he tried not to shift to defend her.