Chapter 36

Hello! So, you all probably want to beat me up right now...especially one person I know...but I hope you like this chapter :( it made me so sad to write.

********

"That's not possible, I haven't felt the bond break," Lilia shouted.

The tears she had been holding back finally broke through their dam as Lilia looked over her mate's injuries. He should be healing instantly.

Why wasn't he healing?

"C'mon, think, think," Dr. Walahan muttered to himself. His eyes were frantic.

"No. This isn't happening. Lev? Can you hear me?"

"What's going on? Is everything okay?" Lilia's head snapped up at the sound of her mother's voice.

"Mom!" She wailed loudly. She heard a deep male voice and more footsteps rushing next to her. Large hands set Kate on the ground next to her daughter and Lilia pulled her mother into a hug as quickly as possible.

"Lev? No, no. Not again. Not my daughter!" Kate screamed at the sky. Lilia pulled back and stroked Lev's face and whispered happy thoughts to him. Johanna joined them shortly after.

"Goddess," Johanna breathed, looking at the situation with wide eyes. Dr. Walahan rushed through his supplies and told someone to call the other doctor.

"I'm going to open him up," Dr. Walahan announced.

"No!" Lilia flung herself at the doctor angrily. Johanna caught her quickly and held her back, trying to console her. It wasn't working.

"We haven't had any time," Lilia whispered to herself. Johanna hugged her tighter and Kate brushed her hand through Lilia's hair.

"I'm so sorry," her mother whispered. She sounded like she was crying too.

"Don't look," Johanna told Lilia. She covered Lilia's eyes with her hand.

"No, no. I've already seen him like this. I want to know what's going on," Lilia pushed Johanna's hand away and scooted forward on her butt.

She winced at the sound of the incision and focused her eyes on her mate's face.

"Please," Lilia pleaded with the Moon Goddess, "Please help him."

"I'm here, I'm here. What did I miss?" Dr. Nylan sprinted up to the scene.

"No heartbeat. I'm going to open it up and see if there's any magic in him," Dr. Walahan explained quickly. Dr. Nylan rushed to put gloves on and grabbed some tools as well.

It wasn't long before they made it to his heart. Lilia gasped at the beating heart surrounded by another magical substance, clear this time, and fell forward in relief.

He was still alive...hopefully.

"Go get that silver box," Dr. Nylan shouted to anyone who could hear. Footsteps ran away and returned shortly with the box.

"Alright, I've got it out—shit! That hurt," Dr. Walahan yanked his hand back. "He must be in a shit ton of pain. We have to hurry."

A few curses later and the substance was thrown in the box with the black mass they had removed from Lev's body.

"They must have impaled him with something. They wanted us to bury him alive," Blaton snarled. He turned to the warriors. "Back to your positions. Now!"