Chapter 39

One more chapter after this! I'm going to miss Lilia and Lev :(

TRIGGER WARNING: mentions of suicide

********

Those unable to fight always rested in the chamber.

Lilia and Kate were some of those people.

Kate was crying, screaming in a corner somewhere, but Lev could only focus on his mate, laying on the floor, fear in her eyes.

There was too much noise...too much noise...

Roman, the bane of his existence, had the staff resting on Lilia's forehead. Lev's breath caught in his throat as Roman turned to face him.

Roman won, as always.

Lev gulped and moved to kneel before his old leader.

"No!" Lilia screamed, trying to move towards her mate. Roman pressed the staff hard on her head, pinning Lilia to the floor. He turned to face Lev again.

"Come on, boy," Roman taunted. He glanced at his feet and Lev followed his gaze.

"Please, please, please—please don't, Lev. Don't! He'll kill you. He—" For the first time since he had shifted into his Lycan form, Lev blocked Lilia's path to him in their mind.

He caught her eyes and watched her mouth drop open in disbelief.

Lev fell to his knees.

"Now, Lev. This all wouldn't have happened if you had just listened to me. Hm? Now you've almost ruined what I have worked so hard for," Roman spat in front of Lev.

Too much noise...

"I'll kill myself," Lilia sobbed. Lev's head snapped up to face her with an incredulous look. What?

"Shut up!" Roman shouted.

"I love you, mom," Lilia ignored the man about to impale her head, "but I'm not as strong as you. I can't live with my mate dying...Lev, if you die, I'll follow you." Her mind was decided.

Lev moved to stand until Roman's hand carefully poked his head.

"I wouldn't, if I were you," Roman taunted. Lev slowly looked up to make eye contact with the most insane man in the world.

"You're done," Lev spoke. Even Kate's cries in the distance quieted at the sound of his voice.

"Who do you think you are?"

"Who do you think you are? Manipulating millions of lives...for what?" Lev snarled. Lilia gaped at her mate.

"I'm the most powerful man in the world, and yet you talk down to me?" Roman brought his face closer to Lev's.

"I am a Lycan," Lev spit, "you are the dirt beneath my feet!"

"You will pay!" Roman shouted and lifted up the staff. Lev tried reaching forward for Lilia but someone managed to beat his fast reflexes.

A leg kicked Lilia's shoulder out of the way and was impaled itself. A shocked, painful scream escaped whoever had taken Lilia's place.

Kate!

"I will never let my child or her mate die," Kate weeped after a few moments. Lilia ran towards her mother but Lev only had eyes for Roman.

The man had suddenly paled, his face ashen, and dropped to his knees. Lev had to force his Lycan back so he didn't crush everyone inside the chamber and grabbed Roman's neck with his bare hand.