chapter 2

Death hovered above the broken and battered soul, laying surrounded by the destruction of those that were meant to love and care for him.

His breath hitches a few times, and Death furrows his brow. Wanting desperately to take this pain from the child. Needing to welcome him.

His eyes watching as the last few seconds of his time faded. The child seemed to be staring off into space, but actually seeing Death.

5... 4... 3... 2... 1

Death reached out with both hands and pulled the soul into his embrace.

With the softest of sighs, the soul came to him.

Death cradled it in his arms, a bright smile crossing his face.

"You're safe now."

The soul began to change, back into the form he had been. A bright light surrounding him.
Death lowers the soul to the ground. So he can stand and gain strength again.

The child takes Deaths hand. And smiles up towards his face. All the pain from his life gone. All the trauma, aches and pains.

"Hello."

Death ruffles the child's hair. Smiling down at his small frame.  Loving this soul with every fiber of his being. Erasing all the bad, and showering him with love.

The child beams at Death.

"Hello," he whispers "are you going to take me home?"

Death nods his head.

"Yes. We're going to your heaven."

The soul looks over his shoulder as Death leads him away. His steps slow to start off with; as if he isn't sure he should leave; before his pace increases. Leaving behind all the pain of his life.

--------

Death rubbed at his temples in frustration, looking down at his book of deaths. He was just about late to another one today, because of Time. Changing things.

If Death could have a headache brought on by stress, he would have one right now. He bites at his lower lip as times, dates, places and even names constantly change in his book.

There is only one Death. And he has to be everywhere, at every moment. To welcome every. Single. Soul.

Millions of people, every day. And even being a second late to any of them could be catastrophic.

A heaving sigh escapes his body, as he tries to find Time again. Some days it seems as if he misses her by moments,  she vanishes into thin air just as he is appearing.

He could have sworn she was there in the moments before he arrived at that child. He swore he could still feel her in the air surrounding them.

As if she was making sure he was doing his job.

Maybe Time is testing him. Making sure he is still capable of doing this job.

He let's out a low grunt, stupid Time. Always messing with his plans. He has been searching for her for aeons. If only he could remember her name, then. Then he could call her.

He wracks his brain trying to come up with different possibilities, muttering each one under his breath. In every language he can come up with.

He glances down at the book again, seeing that he needs to move again. There is a soul waiting for him. He can feel the pain that soul is in. He knows they need to be welcomed.

Death starts walking, between one step and another he vanishes.