chapter 3

Time sat on the edge of a cliff. Looking out at the vast expanse of nothingness in front of her.

Her heart was heavy today. The weight of the world resting on her shoulders.

Being the one responsible for everyones lives. How long they lived. If she had to take time away from them. Or if she had to prolong it.

Every decision had repercussions, she wasn't excluded from those just because she was Time.

Take the life she had "stolen" today. The baby barely formed. Taken before its mother could hold it in her arms.

Time had stood beside the mother for awhile before the inevitable happened. Wishing beyond hope, that she didn't have to make people feel this ache, this hurt. This all consuming grief. Trying to offer some comfort, but also knowing she would never be known or acknowledged.

Time left moments before Death arrived. She could hear his footsteps coming closer. Coming to claim that pure soul, who had been untouched by the world and its horrors.

Time never looked back. Never went back in time. Because even Time knew, you couldn't change the past.

Time had tried once, and everything had fallen apart. A whole nation had been decimated. Gone from existence as if they had never even risen.

A lesson learnt. A battle fought and lost.

So Time never looked back now. Tried to never think about the decisions she had to make, the lives she had to end early, or the ones she had to prolong.

Time felt a bit envious of humans. Age might weather their appearances, might age them beyond comprehension. But.... but at least they got to love, to live. To die. To change.

Time was stagnant. Following the same path. Forward. Forward. Forward. Always one step in front of the other. Eyes always on the horizon, but never getting closer to the end.

Never greeting death. Never getting a break. Always, on and on time moves. Stopping for no one. Not even Time herself.

Stories of love, betrayal, death are woven within Times frame. Every moment. From butterflies in the stomach, until it feels as though a heart is ripped out, broken and shattered on the floor.

But still Time doesn't change. Time stays the same. Within her body are secrets, desires, needs and wants. Every part of humanness is in Time. All the lies. All the deception. All the victories. All the defeats. Everything Time keeps within her.

Slowly Time reaches out her hands, and weaves time into a new formation. A new pattern. Changing weather, temperatures. Changing people's fates. Changing life and death, and her fingers bend and turn. Twist and erase.

She doesn't think of Death, of the changes he is constantly having to make as she changes plans, as she adjusts fate.