Chapter 16

This chapter is dedicated to SpringInkTrap because while the story was down they legit went and started to send me the book from their library chapter by chapter. Y'all should definitely give them a follow.

Ravanna's POV

I look at my love as she sleeps, tucked into my side and I feel unbelievably comfortable.

The warmth that seeps into both of us because of our combined body heat through the help of the blankets.

She always thinks about how I keep her warm, but that could not be farther from the truth. As a demon, we are always cold- we have to be to withstand certain levels of hell - we adapt.

Her warmth radiates to me.

It's quite amusing to think about, in all my years the feeling of warmth has slowly but surely seeped from my memory until nothing but the concept remained.

Until I met Kassandra that day at what's now called a hospital.

Hospital. Such a strange word, a strange notion, but an utterly wondrous creation if not for the corrupt practices that take place. 

There were many things that caught my attention in this modern mortal world, so many small mundane fashionings that lack intricacy but make laborious tasks so much more simple.

Much has changed since my time on Earth, since any demon has had the permission to impose its presence here after their mortal death.

The permission to love freely, ferociously, is incredibly howling. It's beautiful though incredibly daunting to realize that in some places, those that love the same gender can still be killed or imprisoned. 

But that day in which I first saw her, it was incredibly heartbreaking. She was so thin and malnourished, so pale, and empty.

It was like she had been broken, time after time.

She was so afraid, like a mouse hiding from an owl, shaking and flinching at the barest of sounds and touches.

She reminded my of an abused animal, hurt but still in want of love and affection, still trusting even after so much maltreatment.

She amazes me, because even after everything she's been through, she is still the most pure and gentle soul I have ever known.

She radiates light, kindness, compassion, and empathy.

In my arms, she looks so vulnerable. 

It feels like my body molded to fit hers.

I never want to let go.

Emotion like no other explodes in my chest at the mere embrace. Oh, how times must have changed and adapted through the centuries for people of the same gender to experience such simplicity as this.

I gently brush away a strand of hair that has invaded her face, I glance at the time and sigh.

I have to wake her up now if I want to be able to make her breakfast.

I wonder how to go about it.

I wonder if she has gotten a decent night's sleep in the four years that her mother has been gone.

Probably not, I think sadly.

It baffles me, the change one human can undergo in such a short amount of time. To change so much that they are filled with nothing but hatred and malicious intent for their child at the loss of their spouse.