Chapter 23

Kassandra's POV

I ran out of the classroom, I couldn't take this.

I passed a couple of people in the hall who were probably ditching class. I ran pass them and into the bathroom.

I slam the door open but quickly shut it behind me, I breathe heavily against it for a moment.

I hate this place.

I peeled myself off the door and headed towards the sink, bracing my hands on both sides of it.

I took deep breaths, in for six seconds and out for seven.

I repeated this several times until I was able to look at myself in the mirror. All I saw was a girl with dark circles under her eyes, hollow cheeks and ratty hair.

I stared at her.

How can anyone love me?

How would anyone be able to love me?

I turned on the facet and cupped my hands to underneath the water. I splashed it over my face and let water droplets drip down my chin.

A loud crash came from the door and I spun around.

There, stood a being of light that was so startlingly horrifying and wicked, it's mere presence frightened me, it had the kind of energy that made you either drawn to it or run from it.

I couldn't decide which one I was.

Our eyes met and it's lips spread in a slow cheshire smile.

It raced towards me and slashed its claw-like hand at me.

"We're coming for you Kassandra."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ravanna's POV

I had been worried about Kassandra all day and now while she slept, she seemed the most vulnerable.

She was curled into a tightly wound ball and I had tried to wake her when I saw signs of distress on her face and murmurs of fright from her lips.

I had no proper experience in doing so, she would always wake when I called to her at the hospital but she would rarely sleep and always woke on her own.

"Kassandra?" I tried.

She did not wake which worried me, I brushed her hair behind her ear and felt her forehead. She was clammy and hot to the touch.

"Wake up, my love," I laid my head beside hers, "please."

I kept my head next to hers and I want nothing more than to take everything that ails her.

I reached for her hand and in that moment, she shoots up and started gasping for air.

I moved quickly towards her, "Kassandra!"

She started sobbing uncontrollably and I gathered her in my arms, "Sshh, Kassandra, you are with me,"

She had not registered my presence and continued to hyperventilate.

What had she dreamt about?

I start rubbing her back in wide circular motions, "You are safe, amica mea, I shall always protect you." 

I lay kisses upon her heated crown, "I'm here angelum meum, I'm with you."

She grasps the hem of my sleeping shirt and turns her head towards my neck.